A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

CD Changer Installation

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-1999, 04:53 AM
Spencer

Default CD Changer Installation

Recently bought an A4 Avant and was wondering if the compartment in the rear cargo area was prewired and the installation would be very simple or if I need to have someone do it for me.

Spencer
Old 10-06-1999, 05:38 AM
Steve W. (in MD)

Default CD Changer Installation in the Avant

I have a 99.5 Avant, and I installed the Panasonic 6-disk CD changer in about 4 minutes. (I obtained my changer from my dealer, who offers a price equal to Clair's Express Parts. My dealer also offers the screws for free. Email me if you want details on that transaction.) The bracket is already present in the left rear enclosed compartment of the Avant cargo space, and installation is easy. I assume that you have a pre MY00 Avant.

1)The changer must be preset to the H (horizontal) operating position. There is an adjustment screw on the side of the unit to switch between vertical and horizontal use of the changer.

2) The Bracket is removed from the car via three phillips head screws.

3) Insert the changer into the back side of the bracket, and use the four machine screws to secure it to the bracket. The screws insert into the sides of the changer.

4) Look in the bracket compartment near the back side of the rear left wheel for a thick audio cable. The end of the cable will be covered with gray foam. This is the connector for the changer. Remove the foam and insert the cable into the multi-pin recepticle on the back of the changer unit.

5) Angle the bracket so it can be inserted into the compartment, and align it with the three screw holes.

6) Secure the bracket in the compartment with the three phillips head screws.

7) Insert your CDs into the holder, and turn on the radio. Pressing the MODE switch should activate the changer.

Steve W. (in MD)
99.5 Avant 1.8TQM, Sports package, sports seats
Old 10-06-1999, 09:29 AM
Adam S

Steve's instructions work great, took me about 5 minutes to install. Very easy!