A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

center arm rest TOP broke...crap

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 03:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default center arm rest TOP broke...crap

so, the plastic underneath the leatherette broke up and it's time to replace the lid. i have the part, but i cannot figure out how to removed the lid ONLY. i removed the little plastic 'cap' on the inside with a T7. done.

i'm assuming that a side on the console has to come off in order to slide out some sort of pin?? is this right?? any detailed help would be great. THANKS.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:44 PM

Default Well, you did it. I don't have any Idea.

Thats probably the ONLY part of the interior I have not R&R'd.(besides entire dash) Congratulations!
Old 01-12-2008, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I think you can shimmy it out of its hinge at the back of the console...

Ive done this a few times when i got pennies etc stuck...
Old 01-12-2008, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yup, thats how I got mine off (I cut the wires for phone as no one will ever use it). (more)

If you look at the hinged part you should be able to get one side out and then the other. I think I actually broke mine somewhat when I did this on my armrest, as the lid is now a bit loose if open and you try to wiggle it side to side (which I really dont care because it is always closed, and still stays attached when opened)

On a side note, what are you doing with the broken arm rest? Is the leatherette cover black? My arm rest seperated (leatherette portion from plastic tray (the thing that broke in your case)) and I had to glue it back together. I used clamps in 2 spots and the gorilla glue glued the leatherette to the plastic tray. So basically I have a permanent dimple in the middle pass side, and a 3 inch line (small wood under clamp) at the back end of the cover. Only eyesore in the car currently, would be nice to fix for cheap if possible.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Yup, thats how I got mine off (I cut the wires for phone as no one will ever use it). (more)

so you mean the actual sides of the entire console? kind of a rubbery, plastic?

it seems that they might come off with a flat head. i started pulling & prying, definitely did a little very minor cosmetic damage already (don't really care), but it's one of those 'if i keep pulling, will i really break something' moments. not sure if we're on the same page.

yea, i think the old leatherette piece is ok. it's all yours when i figure this out. maybe i need to take some pics.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No, I am talking about the lid, not the entire console. You are trying to replace just the lid

correct? Then there is no need to remove the actual console. The lid itself pops out of the console. Same page now? I was asking about the lid which is covered by leatherette. Are you trying to remove the console or just the lid?
Old 01-13-2008, 12:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: No, I am talking about the lid, not the entire console. You are trying to replace just the lid

yes, the lid. it is onyx. you think i should just rip the sides off? ha...

at this point, whatever...7 years old and more blemishes than it matters.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ok, I need black, no big deal. If only removing the lid, open it, look at the hing inside the arm

rest. There are two thick parts of plastic, the outside of each one has a little nub which goes into the inside sides of the arm rest. When I took mine out I cut the wires on driver side, then gently pryed the pass side of arm rest towards pass side of car, while prying the passenger side plastic thing/nub (the part attached to the lid) towards the drivers side. It eventually popped out.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Ok, I need black, no big deal. If only removing the lid, open it, look at the hing inside the a

Where are the wires?! I don't see any wires.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I win

Stupid F'in piece of crap...

want the leatherette, King?<ul><li><a href="http://homepage.mac.com/wunderpit/PhotoAlbum25.html">Stupid Arm Rest</a></li></ul>