A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Central Flap Motor -V70 - can any tell me how to get it out?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Central Flap Motor -V70 - can any tell me how to get it out?

Sorry - didn't read it correctly. You just want to get to the servo. The servo/flap motor is held to the bottom of the housing by three screws into plastic. You can get to it by removing the lower panel of the passenger side. I might miss something, but generally:

with a thin screwdriver, pry off outer coving of dash inside door. Inside, remove two screws for lower glovebox panel, 8mm socket.

Open glovebox. On either side, just above hinge, are rollers. Push them back and they'll go over their stops, and you drop the glovebox door to it's fullest extension.

On the side closest to the central console, there are two 8mm-head screws. One's fairly obvious, the other, the upper one, is hidden inside a cut section of an aluminum extrusion.

The glovebox now drops away.

The glovebox has been hiding the rear edge of the center facia. Past this edge, from the bottom going up, is a black plastic manifold for the footwell vents, and then an open space with some levers, and then the bottom of the heater box. These levers are attached to the servos.

From the passenger side (assuming left-hand drive), the servo closest to the firewall has a black arm, and the one closest to the rear seat is blue. The black one controls the armature of the flap routing air through the heater core, the blue one controls whether air goes out the front vents, or gets routed to another flap, the red one, controlling whether air goes to the footwell or defroster. You can only see the red one by removing the driver's lower panel.

Confused? Print this out, hold it in your hand, and look at it. When I had everything apart, I had to sit there with the Bentley manual, and finally got out tape and a marker to label everything.

If you know what you're doing, you can probably get the blue servo out in 20 - 30 minutes. The first time you do the job, allow two to three hours.