A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

CF parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 05:40 AM
Joey T

Default CF parts

I have not hung out here in a while, but have some issues with the car so I was checking in. Funny how places change...

Anyway, I see that CF parts are getting some interest.

I need to know if this is becaus eyou guys are looking for lighter parts or the looks? I ask because I am certain I can make some glass parts that weigh less than the CF hoods I have seen, and they are stronger than the CF hoods. But if looks are taking a front seat to performance.. ahhh, no thanks.

Won't be doing any laminating for a while, just a feeler.
Old 01-27-2003, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default well I think most people are looking for someting light, that also looks nice.

do you have any pis of what your product looks like?
Old 01-27-2003, 06:06 AM
Joey T

Default No pics yet

As I said, I am not going to be doing any laminating for a while. To cold outside

That being said, they will look exactly like your stock hood after you paint them. No need to use pins as they wil be cored, and will come in primer.
Old 01-27-2003, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cored?
Old 01-27-2003, 06:22 AM
Joey T

Default Re: Cored?

Composite structures are simply pieces of cloth glued together to form a structure of some type. You can actually make them from anything ( I once made an airbox for a motorcycle from a T-Shirt for a guy )

If you imagine the cross section of a composite hood, you will see it is simply many layers of cloth glued together. Imagine that when you try to flex them, the load is mostly shear. As you flex it, one layer tries to bend at a different arc than the next. To combat this, we use more layers. Say that for a CF hood ( the ones I have seen ) we are using three or four layers of a pretty heavly cloth.

Now, instead of laying cloth on top of cloth, and letting the cloth do most the work, I start with a much lighter piece of cloth, then use a 1/4 in piece of nomex foam, then another layer of cloth.

I then carefully measure out the amount of resin needed, and vacuum bag the whole thing so I get the best bonding possible. I now get even more strength from less weight. You really only need to core the outside edges of a hood.

I guess it is a lot like the bracing you already have in your hood. Think of how heavy it would need to be without the braces, if it was just a sheet of steel.

I have built boats that have crossed ocean, and hoods that have been ultralight and survived for years, and all of them have been cored. In thinking more about it, I would bet most guys are into composite stuff for looks. These car are heavy as ****, if you really wanna loose weight, you can do it better than saving hood weight.
Old 01-27-2003, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've worked with both CF and FG on a very amature level. Sounds like you make some pretty cool stuff

I think CF looks rice (just an opinion). If I had anything CF I would paint it. So glass is just as good for me visually. I agree these cars are heavy as ****. What would a hood run and where would I have to pick it up?
eMail me if you like.
Old 01-27-2003, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default thats very intersting. if the fitment was good and not really ratty looking

I think people would be intersted. several people here who have carbon fiber hoods have painted them the color of the car. If you made a light weight hood (perhaps vented like the cf ones) for a resonable price I think you could sell them for sure. where are you located? I guess you gotta make one for a local who knows or can see your equiped to do this kinda work. what do you thing you would charge for something like this?
Old 01-27-2003, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

interesting info, thanks