A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Changed tip tranny fluid/filter; next day, it "hiccups"

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed tip tranny fluid/filter; next day, it "hiccups"

I am an newer owner, 2000 A4 2.8 quattro tip. Changed out tranny fluid and filter. 85,000 miles left it pretty bad. It was a nice dark black, with some "fuzzies" on the magnets. I would suggest everyone change out their fluid as mine was nasty and your couldn't see through it. Prior to changing, however, I had no problems with tranny.

Changed out fluid, using a digital meat thermometer to measure temp of tranny fluid when filing. Used the directions on the A8 write up. Everything went smoothly. Only issues was that I could not get the tranny filter "neck" with the seal to go all the way up into the valve body. I could only get the seal to up to the bottom of the valve body. Does that make sense? I couldn't get it to go up any further no matter how hard I tried, including gently hitting it with a rubber mallet. And I had fluid on the seal when putting it in place. The seal seemed to be "sealing" and the filter bolted up fine so I closed it all up and filled with fluid per instructions. Car ran great yesterday and shifted so smothly.

However, this morning, not all happy. Car shifts "okay" but if I get on it, it will hiccup. My guess is that filter neck seal is not sealing anymore as well as it should and is not drawing fluid as it should. I plan on taking it back apart today.

Advice?
Question: When putting on the filter seal, do you shove it into place first (not attached to th filter) and then put filter up into valve body; or do you have the seal on teh filter and shove up into valve body? The write-up was not clear on that and my filter came with the seal already on it so that's how I did it, but as mentioned could not get up all the way.

Any other things that might be wrong?
Help!! Thanks!
Old 03-18-2007, 10:20 AM

Did you remove the old ring ?
Old 03-18-2007, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Yes, removed old ring (it was attached to filter). Do you put seal up first

and then put filter in? Or do you attach seal to filter and then shove in? I just pulled out filter again and seal did not come off filter. It was in valve body, but not very far up. I may try to put seal all teh way up first and then put up filter. Does that sound correct?
Old 03-18-2007, 11:19 AM

Default How much fluid were you able to put back

into the car? I know sometimes hiccups can occur when there is less fluid than normal.

--John
Old 03-18-2007, 11:47 AM

Default when i did mine I put the seel in the neck of the filter to ensure proper seeting.

It should not be difficult to slip in not sure why you had problems.... Having to mallet it in is not good.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

almost 7 quarts. Probably about 6 or so after spilling out of filler neck.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Okay, put seal in first and got it to go all the way to the "stop" (at least

I think I got it all the way up there, wouldn't go any further and it looks like its at the stop). Put filter in and it appears to be seating correctly. Now on to filling it.

Fluid looks a little grey-clear so I'm going to reuse it instead of paying another $100 for fluid and its only been one day sine the change yesterday. Compared to the old fluid, which was midnight black, this is way better.

Going to do the fill using the meat thermometer again to get it to 30-45 c, which is about 92-122 f. Wish me luck!
Old 03-18-2007, 12:33 PM

good luck ... I feel for you fighting my own tranny demons right now
Old 03-18-2007, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

How exactly are you using the meat thermometer?
Old 03-18-2007, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Put tranny back together, still have issues...

Okay, car starts up and runs fine. Shifts smooth at LOW speeds, up to about 25 mph, but if I "get on it" it won't shift up. Using tip seems to work okay to shift. When I accelerate smoothly, about 30 mph it won't seem it shift as it should. I can also hear a faint "hissing sound" coming from tranny when its trying to shift (not to mention a slight bit of "bucking" when punching throttle).

Do I have enough fluid? I used a good 6 quarts (bought 7, some dripped out as supposed to). Temp of trany fluid was about 100 f or so.

Do I have too much fluid?

Is seal on properly? I think that it is because it was seated at top and filter attached just fine.

HELP!!!

Quick Reply: Changed tip tranny fluid/filter; next day, it "hiccups"