A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Chip Upgrade for A4 1.8T

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-1999, 04:20 AM
Tim Benoit

Default Chip Upgrade for A4 1.8T

I am seriously considering purchasing a chip upgrade for my 1999 A4 1.8T. Could anyone give me advice on which one to buy, what kind of extra wear and tear I need to take into consideration, and how I can avoid voiding the warrantee?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim Benoit
Old 08-10-1999, 05:52 AM
Andy Hedin

Default Try searching "Chips & Salsa" in the archives...lots of info

nt
Old 08-10-1999, 07:16 AM
Ed

Default A good place to start......

would be two A4.orger's websites:
www.donp.tzo.com
www.seansa4page.com

They both have/had chipped A4's, and go through warranty schpeil, etc.

Also agree with Andy....LOTS of info.

Ed
99.5 1.8TQMS
Old 08-10-1999, 07:31 AM
Chris L.

Default Some chip info...

First, Andy is right - the archives will keep you busy for days. Also, look at donp's chip survey (http://donp.tzo.com/info/survey/survey-result.htm)which as recently updated.

My 20 second summary:
-APR currently seems to be the hottest chip on the market. People like the reasonable cost of the second ECU option and the performance is reported to be excellent (although there have been a couple reports of pinging). AAA+ customer service. Tons of recent testimonials on this forum.
-Wett is the most widely held chip and virtually all of the 'old-school' A4.orger's have them with very few complaints. They have the socketed chip which allows for a quick change back to Clark Kent if needed.
-Neuspeed is widely known as the best bang for the buck. If you're on a budget, this chip is for you.
-AutoThority is a relative newcomer for Audi chips with a solid track record of chip tuning BMWs, Porsches, etc. Car and Driver raved about their product after testing a chipped Passat. (See my review on page two of this forum for more info).
-Garrett is pretty much accepted as a genius when it comes to tuning A4s and his chips have gotten good reviews.
-TAP, MTM (Hoppen), AMS have good reputations and strong ties to Audi but I am not well-versed in their pros and cons, sorry.

Anyway, this was off the top of my head and probably factually incorrect - so please no flames and read the archives to get the full and more accurate flavor.

Chris