A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Chipping and the warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2000, 12:05 AM
Benjamin

Default Re: 2 fixes - Where's the fix for German drivers?

We have no speed limit an driving at 130mp/h is nothing unusual.
But the wind noise at the door drives me crazy!
Old 02-28-2000, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chipping and the warranty

I heard about chipping the a4 from the dealer in a hush hush manner and he mentioned that it might void the warrranty. Has anybody heard about this? What are the chances that it might?
Old 02-28-2000, 07:33 PM

Default Not really much to worry about (more)

I recently spoke to my dealer about this very thing, and he confirmed the fact that although they can't legally sanction chipping your car, unless the chip is shown to be the cause of failure of a warrantied product, there's nothing to worry about. He also mentioned I should chip my car as soon as I get it for an immediate performance increase, and that he doesn't think it will damage the car in any way. Granted, I'm sure my dealer doesn't know _everything_, but every little bit helps.

Also, this has been addressed quite a bit in the past, you can find out more by searching the archives.
Old 02-29-2000, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default That's overstating it. No horror stories that I know of yet, but still....

While it's accurate to say that a dealer could not legitimately deny warranty coverage unless a chip were shown to be the cause of a problem, this ignores the fact that a dealer and/or AoA could deny coverage and claim that the souce of a problem is the chip -- whether it is or not. In that event you may be entitled to warranty service if in fact the chip didn't cause the problem, but good luck getting the work done without you paying for it in the first instance. Then you'll have to do battle with the dealer and/or AoA to prove that the service should've been covered by the warranty. The other point worth mentioning is that although I've heard generally only good stories about people's experiences with chipping, the fact is that it's still a little early to tell whether a chip is going to cause problems -- during the warranty period or thereafter. But experience so far among people on this forum seems to be only good. Time will tell. Also. I wouldn't accept any salesman's quiet little reassurance that "chipping is ok, but don't tell 'em I said so". That's worth absolutely nothing and should serve as a flag that this is more than a "nothing to worry about" issue. Lastly, the common wisdom here seems to be to wait to chip at least until after the first 6 month/5,000 mile service. Some have chipped earlier without apparent problem, but if you're inclined to be a little conservative in an area that's already fraught with some uncertainty you might want to follow that general advice. That's what I plan to do.

Rick
Old 02-29-2000, 07:26 PM

It will void warranty on ECU only.