A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Chips - APR or GIAC (Garrett) NYC Area

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2000, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chips - APR or GIAC (Garrett) NYC Area

I have a 2000 A4 1.8T. Any ideas on which may be the better chip (APR=200hp & 247 torque, GIAC = 197hp & 258 torque). I have heard APR is smoother. Any ideas or experiences. I don't want to sacrifice driveability. Also, I am leasing car from Zumbach in Manhattan are they chip friendly? Thanks!
Old 08-05-2000, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Chips - APR or GIAC (Garrett) NYC Area

the new version of the giac chip is very smooth... with lots of power. it's a basic preference on what chip you should get. i have the giac chip and love it.. very happy with it. go to www.awe-tuning.com for more info..

Chris K
Old 08-05-2000, 01:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Both chips are awesome...

I have driven with both chips on 2000 A4 1.8TQMS, and you will not go wrong with either.

At the top end, high-speed high-rpm, they feel identical. On the way there they are different. Garrett seems to raise boost starting at lower RPM, and then raises it faster. APR doesn't boost at as low an RPM, and ramps it more smoothly.

Edge to GIAC for power, APR for driveability. You will absolutely not go wrong with either, IMHO (unless for some reason your particular car doesn't like one or the other chip.)<p>DougR
'00 1.8TQMS silver/opal
Old 08-05-2000, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I'm in NYC. I've got GIAC. But I can say...

...Your top three chips are GIAC, APR, and MTM.
You can't go wrong with any of them.

Personally I went with GIAC, not because it is slightly more powerful that APR's, but because both GIAC and AWE are right in Philly. Or if I can't get down to Philly, PES is another GIAC dealer, and they are right across the river in NJ.

APR is still in the process of putting together a dealer network, so we don't have any local APR representation. (I'm lobbying to get my local tuner here on Staten Island to become an APR dealer -- he did such a nice job installing my exhaust.)

MTM is another fine chip. And while the company is nowhere near here, Ned who does their website, lives right on Staten Island (about 1/2 mile from me.) He doesn't do any tuning. He is a computer programmer. But he acts as a represntative of the company. And he can probably troubleshoot software problems if need be.
In fact, next week he is borrowing my car, so he can reprogram an MTM chip for a customer (I guess he needs the VAG interface or something like that.)
So I'll get to try out the MTM chip in my car for a day. :-)

If local service is important to you, then GIAC is your best bet, and MTM a good second choice.
If local service is not an issue with you, then your options are wide open.

Regarding Zumbach, I've never dealt with them, but I *think* I heard that they are not chip friendly. So either a spare ECU or the APR ECMS would be indicated in your case.
But I could be wrong about Zumbach's chip policy.

If you want to check out my car, which is chipped with GIAC, drop me an email.

Good luck !

-- Peter
98.5 1.8tqms GIAC 1 bar, APR exhaust