A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

clear corners finished

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2001, 03:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clear corners finished

Every time I log onto the forum I see that silver Avant (RS4?) with clear corners and it looks stunning. So I'm looking at my car last night and I think, "why not?" In some ways it was easier and in some ways harder than expected. Removing the headlights was not too difficult. I elected not to remove all the bulbs, etc from the housing - only removed the amber corner bulb. I fooled with it a bit trying to get the others out but it seemed like I would end up forcing something causing more damage than would be prevented by removing them. I had to make a couple of trips to the 24-hour home depot, which goes to show that this is probably better done planned in advance than spur of the moment (had to get silicone gel and then had to go back because I started with a drill bit that was a little too large. When all was said and done I will have to admit it was not a complete disaster but it could look better. The main complications:

1. drilled into the reflective panel, in which the *!#?&! tabs are seated, thus enlarging 2 of the 4 previously rectangular holes and giving them irregular borders. I tried to cover this mistake by using some silver touch up paint over the black areas that had been drilled out. this helped a little. this is the most visible defect of my workmanship. It looked frightening at close range with the headlights out. It is noticeable with the lights back on the car if you look at it from closer than 2 or 3 feet. doesnt jump out at you but if you look for it you will find it and it looks "unprofessional".

2. scratched up the reflective coating a bit. This was a complication of maneuvering the amber plastic after it had been freed. I should have been more careful breaking it up. I think I was too depressed over complication #1 above that I did not pay as much attention as I should have to this step. This complication shoud be avoidable. Fortunately it is only visible if you really look close.

3. some fine particulate matter not removed from inside. I worked at this, but I could only remove so much. It would have been easier to clean had I removed the other bulbs but I couldn't figure out how to do this without potentially damaging them. As in #2, not really visible unless you really look hard.

4. Lost 1 of the "#3" screws into the abyss below. Decided not to use the other "#3"screw b/c I was having a hard time getting it back in. Are these screws essential? The headlamp unit still seems stable without them. I may ask the service dept to replace these screws at my expense during first service. In the meantime, I hope that lost screw doesn't find itself jammed between two critical moving parts at high speed.

Overall impression: Silver Avant definitely looks sweet with clear corners. There are noticeable flaws but you have to at least bend down and look to really see them. There is definitely a learning curve to this - I wish I had a few practice runs before doing the real ones! Can't wait for RS4 grill to arrive from PG next week, then I will have to figure out my digicam software so I can post pics.
Old 01-19-2001, 04:08 PM

Default Same thing happened to me with enlarging the holes....

I also snapped off my drill bit in the reflector, it was a world of pain (lebowski!) getting it out.
I did not lose my screw down the hole, but I lost some other plastic piece that it goes through, my car still works, yay. I didnt put the screws in too, neither did plug1.
Old 01-19-2001, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They call me the dude, dude!
Old 01-19-2001, 04:18 PM
Elder Member

Or His Dudeness!
Old 01-19-2001, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Marmot you have the first "Scratched Corner" mod!!!
Old 01-19-2001, 04:53 PM

don't worry dude .... happens.
Old 01-19-2001, 10:18 PM

Default Re: clear corners finished

i used aluminum tape to cover up the holes. also i used a compressed air can to remove the plastic bits from the inside. to this you need to remove the bulbs. it isnt as difficult as it seems, however you have to make sure the bulbs go back in firmly, or else beam alignment will be off. the end product is not nearly a perfect job, but its pretty good. if i had to do it again, i would have just purchased a eurospec headlight unit, but for the relatively free mod, it can't be beat. good luck!
Old 01-19-2001, 11:15 PM

Default It looks fine from the outside (which is what matters) but oh boy...

When you look at the back of the light housing...You just say "wow, that guy is a *&(^*ing retard"
Old 01-19-2001, 11:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

For the record ... mine wasn't perfect either a little more patience would have helped.