A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Clicking/rattling/knocking noise when clutch is pushed down

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiMick
Basically BS.
That's a more direct way of saying what I was thinking.

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper
the cause of a throwout bearing being distroyed is having the clutch pressed while at a stop* thats the only thing that i can think of.
I can think of another. You put wear on the throwout every time you shift. Pushing the clutch at a stop sign puts unnecessary wear on the throw out, but every time you push the clutch pedal you put wear on that bearing.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mtroxel
That's a more direct way of saying what I was thinking.

I can think of another. You put wear on the throwout every time you shift. Pushing the clutch at a stop sign puts unnecessary wear on the throw out, but every time you push the clutch pedal you put wear on that bearing.
...riding clutch....clutched in at stops....wears out the throw out bearings twice as fast.

Incorrect release Bearing adjustment /Inadequate clearance causing overheating of the bearing and loss of lubricant , plus overstroking of the clutch and excessive Clutch Diaphram / Lever and Clutch Disc wear.

Riding the clutch Pedal

Waiting in traffic with the vehicle in Gear and Clutch disengaged is a major contributing factor, this loads the clutch release bearing excessively and shortens both the bearing and clutch assembly life drastically. Bad driving habits such as resting the foot on the clutch pedal while driving the vehicle is also one of the major causes of premature clutch failure

common sense if your driving a stick shift car....If you guys think none of this causes any wear on the manual tranny. then its time for you guys to do some break down on two different cars driven differently. Im guessing 75 % of manual drivers keep there clutch pedal clutched in at a red light.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You've completely changed your tune. I agree with most of what you said above, but what I don't get is:

the throw out bearing is out of line.
I still have no idea what this means. The TOB sits on the input shaft of the trans. How does it get out of alignment?

*the cause of a throwout bearing being distroyed is having the clutch pressed while at a stop* thats the only thing that i can think of.
TOB's see wear at every shift. If you never ride your clutch and never hold it at a stop light, it will still wear out some day.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mtroxel
You've completely changed your tune. I agree with most of what you said above, but what I don't get is:

I still have no idea what this means. The TOB sits on the input shaft of the trans. How does it get out of alignment?

TOB's see wear at every shift. If you never ride your clutch and never hold it at a stop light, it will still wear out some day.
usually if there is no lube left on the bearing the shaft gets dry and has a chance for the bearing to stick to the shaft. also will create a rough friction causing the bearing to viberate out of places or even snap off. you really have to see the defective bearings personally to know whats going on.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

usually if there is no lube left on the bearing the shaft gets dry and has a chance for the bearing to stick to the shaft. also will create a rough friction causing the bearing to viberate out of places or even snap off. you really have to see the defective bearings personally to know whats going on.
I have been driving manual transmission vehicles for over 40 years. Whilst your advice is good about "riding" the clutch, as mtroxel says you can't mis-align the bearing. The clearance to the shaft is not that tight.

The bearing wears out, you replace it. It's that simple. To replace the bearing you have to remove the gearbox.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by AudiMick
I have been driving manual transmission vehicles for over 40 years. Whilst your advice is good about "riding" the clutch, as mtroxel says you can't mis-align the bearing. The clearance to the shaft is not that tight.

The bearing wears out, you replace it. It's that simple. To replace the bearing you have to remove the gearbox.
anything could happen. all depends on how the car is driven.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It's your brakes I guarantee u, I replaced my brakes and now I have the same annoying noise I'm still trying to figure out this problem...People have said it could be cheap pads, worn caliper bracket , dry caliper bushings, retaining clip ...when I find the answer I'll let u know unless u find it 1st haha
Old 05-09-2012, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My bad I misread the thread...:-)