A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Clicking sound from steering column - attn. hwwnights, speedracer_53, Sir Gorobei

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2000, 03:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking sound from steering column - attn. hwwnights, speedracer_53, Sir Gorobei

Hi,
I have this clicking sound coming from the steering column (or at least I believe it is from there). I searched the archives and looks like it is the spiral spring for the airbag. The first two days I drove the car there's no sound. It happened (maybe coincidently) after I adjusted the steering column.
As I am reading the other posts, it sounded like the clicking sound is when you turn the steering. I am getting the sound even when I am idle. Any thoughts?
In any case, I'll make a call to the dealer and hopefully they can take a look at it on Tuesday. Election day, and I am off work. Thought I could have some fun in the car
Old 11-05-2000, 06:27 AM

Default The more I listen to it, it doesn't sound like it is from the steering...

I think the sound is from the center stack. With the radio power off as well as climate control off, the sound is still there. Any ideas?? Driving me nuts!
Old 11-05-2000, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Clicking sound from steering column - attn. hwwnights, speedracer_53, Sir Gorobei

damn dude that sucks. see if u can find hwnnights post, i think a couple days ago. his problem was something with the tie-rod, and that his power steering was leaking. as for myself, the clicking sound that i get, has been gone for a least 3 weeks. hopefully it will stay like that. the only times i did get the clicking sounds were, mostly when the car was cold. but after i drove the car around, it went away. when does all ur clicking take place? hope that helps a little.
Old 11-05-2000, 10:54 AM

Default i was convinced it was the spiral spring myself! but to my suprise (more)

the dealer diagnosed it (finally) as a defective tie rod end on the left side... it seems that a few people have had this problem. what year is your car? i think the older a4's have this defect. Anyway my part is on back order so i'll post when i get it fixed to see if the sound went away. They said something about since its defective its not greased properly which causes the clicking sounds from metal pieces catching on each other....and i was so convinced it has coming from the steering colum and must have been the spiral spring.... but it makes the sound when i brake also.....they sadi they used some kind of sound locater device (what ever that is) to pin-point where the sound was coming from... they said its like some tool with a mic on it??? Hope this helps.... you might want to have the dealer check those areas.....
Old 11-05-2000, 10:58 AM

it must be a problem that comes with SILVER A4's ? haha..yea right...