A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Clutch bypass switch how to do it.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 04:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch bypass switch how to do it.

how the hell do you do it i looked at them i have one clear plasticy plunger thats on the brake pedal assembly one black plastic plunger then on the clutch assembly what do i cross im so confused eveyone has pictures of what they look like but its not helping me.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

*how the hell do you cross them
Old 10-10-2012, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well look at it. Its obviously the one on the clutch pedal thats pushed in when the pedal is pushed down all the way to allow the engine to start. The other is a cruise vent valve thats opened as soon as the clutch starts being pushed. There both just on off switches. Figure it out. If you unplug it and it doesnt start, then jump the 2 terminals and see if it starts.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

god i wish i wasn't slow to comprehend this. I just dont get it though two plungers on the brake and one on clutch. theres a another switch behind the clutch when its pressed
Old 03-06-2021, 10:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Oscar_619
god i wish i wasn't slow to comprehend this. I just dont get it though two plungers on the brake and one on clutch. theres a another switch behind the clutch when its pressed
Ancient post, but ran across this thread doing some Googling to help with my pedal setup for auto to manual conversion. What they mean is these switches are basic on and off so typically only two wires going to the pedal switch. If you cross or jump the two wires together it will trigger it to always to be on (of off depending how it's wired). So if you need to bypass the neutral safety swtich on the pedal bracket for testing or starting the car.

I also noticed with pre 2000 year models they used vacuum pedal switches for cruise control deactivation vs 2000+ did electric switches. Also pre 2000 models were cable throttle and later model electronic accelerator pedal. So keep that in mind when doing a conversion from auto to manual. I took the 3 pedal assembly from a 2000 model but converting a 99, but was able to take the brake and clutch pedal off and still use my automatic pedal assembly using the original cabled accelerator pedal
Old 11-18-2023, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Oscar_619
how the hell do you do it i looked at them i have one clear plasticy plunger thats on the brake pedal assembly one black plastic plunger then on the clutch assembly what do i cross im so confused eveyone has pictures of what they look like but its not helping me.
Bus pass? Dont give up bro its like a tree branch, grows and then goes.Ive only wrenched Yotas and American whips. But My .....Audi A4 Haunting Edition is waiting for me. I think my car was under some depths of water. Why it wasnt runnig and Sinking her was easier instead of paying for tags ,registration,smog so safest place, Who lives in a pineapple ,under under the the Seaaaa. Adui A4, He has no Nautical Knowlege one could wish. A U D I A4..... Turn the key , but nothing starts, so get on the deck and flopp like a Fish. Who drovey myA4 1.8 to Sponge Robs pineapple.... to be continued