A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Clutch Noise @ 9K

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-1999, 02:54 AM
Stefan Bates

Default Clutch Noise @ 9K

I have done 9k miles on my 2.4 and it has developed an annoying fault. Sometimes there is a short 'drilling' sound when I engage the clutch from a standing start. The best way I can describe it is that it sounds like an hydraulic drill! It only ever happens in first gear and only now and again for maybe half a second or so. I have searched the archive and found a similar problem listed. The theory seemed to be that the cause is a faulty clutch master cylinder or a bearing. Can anyone confirm they have had the same problem and what fixed it. Hasn't Audi documented this problem? My dealer could not recreate the problem so they didn't fix it. Funny thing is that it first occurred after my 1st service.<p>Stefan.<br>
Old 02-05-1999, 06:07 AM
Burkley

Default Re: Clutch Noise @ 9K

At around 10,000 my '96 gave a squeak/whine sound when the clutch was depressed. I had it lubed once and then when the noise reappeared, the dealer kindly replaced the master cylinder. No problems since.
Old 02-05-1999, 06:14 AM

Default Get used to it; more problems to come!

You are lucky if that is all that has gone wrong in the first 10,000 miles.
Old 02-05-1999, 06:18 AM
P2

Default Me 2

My 98.5 2.8 exhibited that same whirring noise at 12K miles. It comes and goes and I know I wouldn't be able to recreate it for the dealer. However, for the past 1,000 miles or so, no problem and/or noise. Is it confirmed that its the Master Cylinder causing this? I want to have that checked at my 15K service coming up...<p>P2
Old 02-05-1999, 06:59 AM
RichP

My 1.8T just recently developed the same problem...wierd though 'cause it doesn't do it all the time, not even every day!!<p>BTW, I have 6k miles...<p>Rich<br>99 A4 1.8T Q 5 speed Wett, Remus and other goodies...<br>
Old 02-05-1999, 11:38 AM
Randal J

I know exactly what you mean, but I still don't know the cause. <br> <br>Mine developed the noise at around 6k miles. Very intermittent. Sounded a little like an air wrench, or a gobbling turkey, and happened when engaging the clutch. Nothing mechanically disabling, just an embarassing nuisance. <br> <br>I had my 7.5k service in January, and, luckily, the dealer noticed it too. Evidently the problem is infrequent because the dealer, Scottsdale Audi (they sell lots), had not come across this before. Anyway, they elected to replace the whole clutch assembly, after consulting with the regional Audi warranty person, who also drove the car.<br> <br>The noise is gone, for now anyway. I looked at the old clutch plate, pressure plate, and the bearing (which was mangled when removed) but there was nothing obviously wrong. They did not replace the master cylinder. We'll see after the next 10k miles whether it was just a bum clutch.
Old 02-06-1999, 05:56 PM
Rick K

Default Re:Clutch Noise

My clutch was silent until about 35k miles when an annoying squeak developed. The dealer tried to tell me that Audi had no fix for it, and it was considered a normal operational noise. After a call to my district manager Audi suddenly had a fix for it. They installed a new clutch master- and the clutch is silent again.<p>Rick K<br>96 2.8M