A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Clutch recommendations - 2.8 w/ supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 09:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch recommendations - 2.8 w/ supercharger

Hello,
Last year we purchased a very nice 99 A4 2.8 Quattro with PES supercharger, meth. injection, milltek catback exhaust, eibach prokit suspension and a fair bit of other things.

The vehicle has about 80k miles and has been pushed hard. The clutch is in need of replacing and we are thinking about adding to the horsepower (currently around 325-250) - possibly pushing it into the 400's but no higher than 450.

We want to do that and maintain the wonderful, fun and comfortable street drivablity that it currently has.

So, any recommendations on the clutch? Brand/ make? Obviously we need something that can handle the already 75%(ish) HP increase over stock and possibly be able to handle up to 125% over-stock. But we are concerned about puck-type creating a less luxurious feel while we smoke sportier looking cars.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old 12-31-2012, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

400 - 450 hp?? Out of interest, what mods are you looking at, to push the 2,8 that far?

The highest I've seen was 270 hp, and that was highly strung. The norm is around the 250 hp mark.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Nollywood
400 - 450 hp?? Out of interest, what mods are you looking at, to push the 2,8 that far?

The highest I've seen was 270 hp, and that was highly strung. The norm is around the 250 hp mark.
- The PES Supercharger and chip bring it from a stock 199 to the low 300's. The Methanol adds another 10-15, Milltek Cat-back adds a few more horses. Custom fuel rail and the 450~ cc injectors... All that puts it into the low 300's - maybe 325 (we'll be getting it dyno'ed after some additional tuning and mods).

As for the plan forward, we are just beginning to work with 303 Motorsports here in Colorado and haven't solidified a 'plan' - but it will likely include:
Cold Air Intake
Resizing the spindle on the supercharger
Head/ valve work to handle the added boost
Fuel pump upgrade because we are already out-sucking what the pump can push.
Clutch - as mentioned initially
Possible boring to between a 3.0 to a 3.2 and stroke change - but if we go that route we'll just pick up another engine and have it built from the ground up
Gates timing belt, MSD Ignition, Carbon fiber hood, trunk, fenders - aluminum driveshaftd (maybe)... etc

Anyway, I know people don't do a lot of mods to the AHA engine, and therefore there aren't a lot of plug-n-play options available, but we are only asking for another 100 HP or so over what we are pushing now... If you have any recommendations, I'd love to hear them.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:31 PM
Former Vendor

We've got a number of Clutchmaster kits available for just about any power level. Shoot us an email or give us a call.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hermes93
- The PES Supercharger and chip bring it from a stock 199 to the low 300's. The Methanol adds another 10-15, Milltek Cat-back adds a few more horses. Custom fuel rail and the 450~ cc injectors... All that puts it into the low 300's - maybe 325 (we'll be getting it dyno'ed after some additional tuning and mods).

As for the plan forward, we are just beginning to work with 303 Motorsports here in Colorado and haven't solidified a 'plan' - but it will likely include:
Cold Air Intake
Resizing the spindle on the supercharger
Head/ valve work to handle the added boost
Fuel pump upgrade because we are already out-sucking what the pump can push.
Clutch - as mentioned initially
Possible boring to between a 3.0 to a 3.2 and stroke change - but if we go that route we'll just pick up another engine and have it built from the ground up
Gates timing belt, MSD Ignition, Carbon fiber hood, trunk, fenders - aluminum driveshaftd (maybe)... etc

Anyway, I know people don't do a lot of mods to the AHA engine, and therefore there aren't a lot of plug-n-play options available, but we are only asking for another 100 HP or so over what we are pushing now... If you have any recommendations, I'd love to hear them.
No.

Just no. Not a chance the 2.8 is putting out over 300 horses with a pes kit. Maybe 250-265@the wheels, and that's being VERY generous. As for 400, it's just not going to happen without an apb transplant.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:50 AM
Tech Guru

Received 110 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by ddillenger
No.

Just no. Not a chance the 2.8 is putting out over 300 horses with a pes kit. Maybe 250-265@the wheels, and that's being VERY generous. As for 400, it's just not going to happen without an apb transplant.
Quoted for truth.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Post the results of your dyno test when you get it done. It will be interesting to see what you really have with the PES etc. Maybe we doubters will be surprised. If you get 300 h.p. that thing will rip for sure!
Old 01-10-2013, 10:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Huskerbob
Post the results of your dyno test when you get it done. It will be interesting to see what you really have with the PES etc. Maybe we doubters will be surprised. If you get 300 h.p. that thing will rip for sure!
To be clear, I have not yet had it dyno'ed - so, I am, possibly at my peril, quoting numbers from 1) the seller of the vehicle and 2) the manufacturers of the various add-ons. So, I definitely will walk a bit softer with the numbers until I get dyno results in hand (probably this spring); At which point we can discuss the numbers more, but I have 'smoked' every car I've did a little road racing with, except a new Charger... so anyway, until then, here's the _claim_ from PES:

1998-2001 2.8 30V V6
Standard HP:
193 @ 6000RPM (

Standard TQ:
206 @ 3200RPM

AUDI G2 HP:
295 @ 6100RPM (102)

AUDI G2 TQ:
270 @ 3050RPM (64)
Old 01-10-2013, 10:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oh, also the spindle on the PES Supercharger has been changed to add about 20% more boost, and we may go a full 60%(over off-the-shelf) with another spindle change... Though it is a bit noisy despite the recent rebuild on the bearings...
Old 01-11-2013, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Overdriving the m60 that much takes it WAY outside of it's efficiency range, and just compounds the tuning nightmare that is me5. That is a TINY blower (the second smallest eaton makes). Adapt an m90 or m112 and you're in business, but still not without low CR pistons and a GOOD (live, emulator equipped) tuner.

That blower on that motor is just not capable of big numbers.

If you're serious about power, consider getting a DBW (drive by wire) setup out of a atq equipped car. That uses me7.1, which is MUCH easier to tune, and is a very popular platform (the 2.7t uses the same engine management system).

Last edited by ddillenger; 01-11-2013 at 09:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Clutch recommendations - 2.8 w/ supercharger