A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Clutch recommendations - 2.8 w/ supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be careful over-spinning that blower. You may run into air heating problems as well as detonation due to the increased effective compression ratio especially if you are running 92 pump gas.

Do you know what your static compression ratio is now? It was 10.3 to 1 from the factory. I can't imagine pushing the effective ratio much past 12.5 to 1 without some serious mods and that's only 2 psi of boost.

I agree with ddillenger that new pistons would be a good idea as well.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks both! That is great advice. I'll def. be running all that past the mechs. I had figured on new pistons, and we've been debating going either a ground-up rebuild of the (or rather a different) engine, or purchasing something along these lines: http://eurospecsport.com/products/engines/v6-5v.htm

Any thoughts?

Again, thanks for the advice, it is greatly appreciated. Though I have a fair amount of basic mech. experience, I have minimal tuning experience and don't want to go down the over-priced and arguably inadequate upgrade path that the original owner went down.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

The best advice I can give you is this:

You will be VERY disappointed if you spend that kind of money and wind up with a PES supercharged car. Get an apb (used, around 1000 bucks) and throw a set of k04's or frankenturbos on it (2000) with some injectors and maf (400). Instant 400hp.

For the cost of that engine you could do everything above AND swap a 6 speed into the car.

I'm refraining from the typical "sell it and buy an s4" commentary, but it's hard.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

We're actually pretty happy with the PES Supercharger as it stands, luckily we didn't spend the money on it (and probably wouldn't have), but considering we got the car for barely more than the list price of the PES...

Now, as for getting more HP, you may be right, it is definitely not the easiest way 'up', but we are far from disappointed - now, whether we can go to the levels we are hoping for, that is definitely in question. We might just go for another A or S if we find a good deal on one, but the wife is a bit hesitant to add to our collection of vehicles at the moment, so I am hoping to work with what we got.

Also, considering that the A4 in question has barely 80k miles on it and is in near-showroom condition as far as the interior and exterior, and we'd be hard pressed to find another B5 with such low miles, we'd like to continue to add to this one, without switching to turbos, since we do like the 'evenness' of the SC.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Fair enough. Rather than buying a built engine, get a 2.7 longblock and swap the 2.8 accessories and charger onto it. It has the proper compression for forced induction, forged pistons, and a beefier block (4bolt mains vs 2bolts). It is otherwise a direct swap, and will handle more power than the pes blower can possibly produce, for 1/5th the price of a built engine.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ddillenger
Fair enough. Rather than buying a built engine, get a 2.7 longblock and swap the 2.8 accessories and charger onto it. It has the proper compression for forced induction, forged pistons, and a beefier block (4bolt mains vs 2bolts). It is otherwise a direct swap, and will handle more power than the pes blower can possibly produce, for 1/5th the price of a built engine.
That's a great point that I was totally unaware of! (As I mentioned, I don't have 'tuner' experience). Really, thank you!
Old 01-13-2013, 10:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

That, and get a DBW (drive by wire, as opposed to drive by cable) setup out of a 2000 and up car. It has me7 as opposed to me7, and a LOT more tuning options. You'll need very little to do it (throttle body, engine harness, throttle pedal assembly, ecu) and will have a much nicer setup.

You might consider joining nefmoto.com
Old 01-16-2013, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ddillenger
Overdriving the m60 that much takes it WAY outside of it's efficiency range, and just compounds the tuning nightmare that is me5. That is a TINY blower (the second smallest eaton makes). Adapt an m90 or m112 and you're in business, but still not without low CR pistons and a GOOD (live, emulator equipped) tuner.

That blower on that motor is just not capable of big numbers.

If you're serious about power, consider getting a DBW (drive by wire) setup out of a atq equipped car. That uses me7.1, which is MUCH easier to tune, and is a very popular platform (the 2.7t uses the same engine management system).
x100,000,000,137.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm curious, a few of you expressed disbelief that the 2.8 could run at 300, let alone 450hp - yet I am reading all over about well-modded ones pushing into the 500's, and saw one for sale a few months ago that was HEAVILY modded and de-tuned to 700hp to make it drivable. Are people full of crap, or?

Here's a thread about putting a M90 in - http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...0v-2-8-project - with a claim to be (planning) 500+.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Suoercharged 2.8l 30v

Originally Posted by hermes93
I'm curious, a few of you expressed disbelief that the 2.8 could run at 300, let alone 450hp - yet I am reading all over about well-modded ones pushing into the 500's, and saw one for sale a few months ago that was HEAVILY modded and de-tuned to 700hp to make it drivable. Are people full of crap, or?

Here's a thread about putting a M90 in - http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...0v-2-8-project - with a claim to be (planning) 500+.
Read the last 3 posts on the project. It's scrapped and the car is for sale.

At 700 h.p. the only thing you would have from the original 2.8l engine is the oil drain plug maybe.

Quick Reply: Clutch recommendations - 2.8 w/ supercharger