A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Clutch Replacement - What brands/parts to buy/replace

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Replacement - What brands/parts to buy/replace

2000 1.8T Quattro with 114k miles, chipped and lowered but otherwise stock and clutch is starting to slip. It seems that there is some agreement that Sachs is the manufacturer of the OEM clutch in our cars. That is probably the direction I'll go and ECS sells a kit with clutch, pressure-plate and throw-out bearing for $367. Has anyone used this kit? Good results or bad? Also, since the dual-mass flywheel is expensive and I'd rather not go aftermarket single-mass, has anyone had any experience replacing just the parts in this kit with no new flywheel or flywheel machining? From what I understand many shops will not resurface the OEM dual-mass flywheels. I'm tempted to just throw this kit in without doing anything to my factory flywheel if others have had luck with this approach.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 02-21-2012, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverHotz
2000 1.8T Quattro with 114k miles, chipped and lowered but otherwise stock and clutch is starting to slip. It seems that there is some agreement that Sachs is the manufacturer of the OEM clutch in our cars. That is probably the direction I'll go and ECS sells a kit with clutch, pressure-plate and throw-out bearing for $367. Has anyone used this kit? Good results or bad? Also, since the dual-mass flywheel is expensive and I'd rather not go aftermarket single-mass, has anyone had any experience replacing just the parts in this kit with no new flywheel or flywheel machining? From what I understand many shops will not resurface the OEM dual-mass flywheels. I'm tempted to just throw this kit in without doing anything to my factory flywheel if others have had luck with this approach.

Thanks,
Ryan
No-one is going to re-surface a dual mass with that kind of miles.

It needs to be replaced, they make a big mess when they break. My co-worker re-used his in his Jetta and broke the transmission.

You can buy dual mass flywheels for a lot less nowadays.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:25 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you looked at our RA4 clutch kit? It does use a single mass flywheel but functions just as well or better than the OEM style clutch.

Click HERE to order or for more information.

Jason
Old 02-21-2012, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Anyone out there with 100k miles on the RA4 kit ecs is recommending? I'm equally concerned with feel as with how long it will last.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:18 PM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

The clutch pressure plate and disc in the RA4 kit is the same OEM clutch that is used in the B5S4.

Jason
Old 02-22-2012, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Has anyone used this kit?

Someone has to have used this kit...anyone with 100k miles on it that can speak to the quality/feel of the ECS flywheel?
Old 02-22-2012, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're looking for reliability in your new setup to last 100k but do not want to replace the fly wheel with your mileage?

Lol
Old 02-22-2012, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Helpful

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
You're looking for reliability in your new setup to last 100k but do not want to replace the fly wheel with your mileage?

Lol
GTA_Driver, thanks for wasting forum space and my time. I clearly asked if anyone has 100k on the RA4 kit ECS recommended above which includes a new flywheel. It is not an OEM flywheel which is really what I'm curious about. Has anyone run this setup for close to 100k? How's the feel? How's the reliability?
Old 02-22-2012, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver

Lol
Apparently before taking a look at the old flywheel also.

This probably won't end well.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:56 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

As I've mentioned before the clutch is an OEM S4 clutch. Its the same clutch that they install from Audi into the B5 S4. It will feel just like a stock S4 clutch. There's tons of unmolested S4's running around with well over 100k on their OEM clutch. Once S4's start getting chipped and you up the power its when the slipping/clutch failure happens. As with any car when you exceed the limits of the OEM parts. It's a substantial upgrade over the OEM B5 A4 unit simply because the power out up of the A4 is half of what the S4 makes - which makes this a great upgrade.

Our flywheel is a steel single mass flywheel. Unlike a dual mass flywheel, single mass steel flywheels can be resurfaced. Not to mention the weight saving on rotational mass. Less rotational weight = less stress on the engine.

We've literally sold hundreds of these kits. Search the forums on our clutch kit if you want other peoples feed back. This topic has probably been discussed a dozen times. Might also want to search Audizine.com

I hope this helps!

Jason

Quick Reply: Clutch Replacement - What brands/parts to buy/replace