A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Clutch squeal, revisited (longish)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2000, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch squeal, revisited (longish)

Folks,

I've searched the archives and have not found a definitive answer to the "clutch squeal" problem that has been discussed on an off for a couple of years. There has been one claim that a belt tensioner fixed the problem. Here's what happens: engine warm and running; car stopped for some amount of time; depress clutch pedal, shift into first gear, release clutch... As the clutch in engaging (in first gear) the car emits a squeal - more like a scream or howl actually. I believe I've heard this happen in second gear also. The noise occurs only intermittently, but has happened since the car had about 2000 miles on it. This is a '99 1.8T. In other words, classic symptomology.

Amazingly, I had it at the dealer today (Negherbon in Oakland) for the 10,000 mile maintenance and they were able to duplicate it. The service manager said he had heard the problem before but wasn't sure what it was. He said the noise is coming from the transimission/clutch area and that the transmission would need to be removed to investigate. I declined graciously.

So, has anyone identified this problem? I'm not comfortable with the dealer performing exploratory surgery. Comments or advice?

- Felonious
Old 03-08-2000, 09:15 PM
dw

Default Re: Clutch squeal, revisited (longish)

I had the same problem. First the power steering pump was changed, that wasn't it. Next the serpentine belt idler pulley was changed, no good.
Finally the dealer pulled the tranny and it was the throwout bearing. They put in a new clutch, flywheel, etc. Total down time was five days (with a complementary dealer loaner car) and I haven't heard a peep since.
Old 03-09-2000, 01:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So did yours sound like someone was torturing a small animal underneath your car? I mean it rarely happens but when it does it's kinda embarassing. Normally happens when you're letting the clutch out slowly and only after the clutch has gotten good and hot, but even then it's not predictable. Does this all sound familiar...cause they wanna do the idler pully crap to my car...but the sound seems really low down not up at the top where the idler is.

Regards,

James R.

99 1.8TMS (Neuspeed K04, K&N Filter, S4 Wheel Well Liner Mod, Remus Exhaust, Neuspeed Sport Springs, Neuspeed Front Anti Sway, Bilstein Sport Shocks, Brembo Rotors, Mintex Red Box, Ronal R-7's 17" Bridgestone S02 PP, Smartire (neat gimmick), Euro Corners, Clear Sides, Full Tint)
Old 03-09-2000, 04:54 AM

Default I had this problem with my 96 A4 2.8 FWD..(more)

And unfortunately, after five or six trips to the dealership, they never could figure out what was causing it.

I remember being able to modulate the pitch of the squeel by depressing the clutch. Talk about embarassing.

-Craig
'00 S4 (No clutch squeel)
Old 03-09-2000, 07:06 AM

dw,

I'm also sure it has something to do with the clutch. A couple more data points:

1) My wife, queen of the slipping clutch. Told her about the problem last night and she says: "That noise, oh yeah, I hear it all the time. Happens every time I drive the car at least once, but usually two or three times." Understand that she slips the clutch liberally not only getting underway from a dead stop, but also between gears for good measure.

2) The sound only occurs while the clutch is slipping, never while fully engaged or disengaged.

From the above my conclusion is that the problem is probably not the throwout bearing, but clutch plate chatter. My bet is that the problem in your car was fixed by replacement of the clutch, not the throwout bearing.

I believe this is the same tranny/clutch/engine assembly used in VWs. Later today I was going to get on VWVortex and do a little research.

Comments?

- Felonious
Old 03-09-2000, 07:57 AM

I have the same problem with my 99.5 1.8 QMS and of course the dealer could not duplicate. It happens intermittenly and usually after a hot soak. I don't think it's ever happened when the car was driven cold. But after driving then parking then it will happen when I start out again. It's so loud it scares the hell out of me. You would think there would be some kind of TSB on this by now.
Old 03-09-2000, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Had it twice, clutch master cylinder was replaced and it vanished
Old 03-09-2000, 11:04 AM

Default Re: Clutch squeal, revisited - a bit more info

Just got back from the dealer and asked how they duped the problem. They did the obvious thing: warmed the car up and then goofed around slipping the clutch in the parking lot. Apparently got it to happen regularly enough that they were able to determine that the sound was coming from the clutch/tranny region. One wonders how many miles they took off the life of that clutch...

I have also looked through the VWVortex site and found no references to any such problem. Surprising to me. Perhaps the Passat (I believe there is also a New Beetle 1.8T) clutch assembly is different? I wonder if the FWD version has a different clutch/throwout bearing. Anyone know?

Anyone here experiencing the problem with a FWD A4?

- Felonious
Old 09-06-2012, 01:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Clutch squeal, while engine not running

I have the same squeal issue, but it comes even when the engine is off and vehicle is standing. It happens bothways, while pressing, and while depressing.

Do you guys think its the Throw out bearing or the Clutch plate?? or will just some lubrication(i don't know where) help??