A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Coilovers vs Springs/Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2001, 07:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilovers vs Springs/Shocks

All things equal, I'd love to get coilovers, but is the added cost worth it? How often do you who have coilovers actually change the height? I've also read that with coilovers you can balance the car more percisely, but how important is that?

I've posted about tires a few times, but now I'm thinking maybe I should upgrade my suspension first and hold off on new wheels/tires until next year? (already did some brake stuff) For the casual track driver, which will serve me better for the time being, suspension or tires?

I'm looking at the APR package for now....

Thanks for the advice!
Jason
Old 03-07-2001, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Some coilovers also allow dampening adjustment, depends on your application..
Old 03-07-2001, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default For me it was worth it..................read on..impressions

I had only the standard stock suspension before,which was nice and relaxing and took bumps really well,but it just wasn't fun,never mind how horrible the wheel gap looked. So with all that in mind I decided to go for the best setup which was fully adjustable,so it was H&R coilovers for me .

Got it fitted last weekend and fully aligned , and all I can say is wow . The car looks awesome , officially it was a 2 inch drop , but to me it is at least 2 and a half as now the top of the tires are meeting the lower wheel arch at both front and back , so it is sitting really nice , much lower than a S4 I parked to at work yesterday . Only problem is that I have to be really careful as to where I drive , speed bumps are now a major issue .

Haven't really been able to test out the ride so far , driving it on the highway it is very steady and offramps are just a blast the car hangs on for dear life , fully planted to the road . Got it on a back road and it was fantastic only for a few damn slow cars I'd have really driven it .

Great thing about it , that I can always adjust the ride height again without any major impact , very useful for ski trips and stuff .

So go the extra mile and go for coilovers ............................

Enjoy .

I will get pics soon and post them here .