A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Cold Start Misfires

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-1999, 10:59 AM
Peter

Default Cold Start Misfires

I've got a '98 Passat 1.8t with a problem. I posted this on VWVORTEX, but I'd like your opinions as well.<p>I'm going CRAZY!!!!! Here's the deal.<p>About 6 months ago when I started my car in the morning it idled rough and the check engine light blinked and then came on. After a few seconds the car straightened out and ran perfectly. I took it to the dealer who couldn't find any thing wrong with the car. They shut out the light, replaced the oil with 10/30(as per bulletin) and sent me on my way. Last month(5 months later), the same thing happened. This time I took it to another dealer who again couldn't find anything wrong. They checked all the computer codes and were only able to deduce that the car experienced a cold start misfire. They shut out the light and sent me on my way. The car has run perfectly until today. Same thing....Started the car this morning, rough idle, light came on, car straightened out and drove beautifully to work. I can't say I'm really worried, but what the heck is going on? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Will the light go out by itself? By the way, the first time it happened was pre-chip, so I don't think that thats the problem. Thanks.<p><br>
Old 05-24-1999, 11:44 AM
Rich L.

Default Does it conincide with short runs? (more)

I have heard stories that the 1.8T reacts this way to starting and stoping the engine before it warms up. This can be pulling it out of the garage to wash it and them pulling it back in.<p>These short durations do not let the engine clear the extra fuel displensed durring starting. The next day, it takes a while to blow the "stale" fuel from the intake manifold.<p>I read about this on the Passat Owner's Group mailing list. Search their archives for more information.<p>Good luck,<br>Rich<br>1.8TAQMS<br><ul><li><a href="http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/1108/main.html">http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/1108/main.html</a></li></ul>
Old 05-24-1999, 02:00 PM
Peter

Default Thanks Rich.....

After a few dealer visits and scratching my head, I think YOU may have figured it out. Sunday, I started the car and then turned it off when I decided to take my wifes car to the store instead. I hadn't started it up until today. I can't remember what happened the other times, but it is possible because I often back out the car as you suggested to wash and then pull 'er right back in. So who knows. The only other thing it could be would be far worse. The dealer did overfill the car with oil once and I read in the manual that this can damage the catalytic converter. I would think that that would have shown up when they ran the computer diagnostic though. In the meantime I know to make sure the car always drives before shutdown.....Thanks alot.
Old 05-24-1999, 03:49 PM
CharlieG

Default Re: Does it conincide with short runs? (more)

I concur with Rich as I've had this happen twice to my car (98.5 1.8TQMS). Both times I had done several short runs, in/out of the garage and the next day I had the trouble. I didn't panic either time as the engine did smooth out almost immediately and the check-engine light went out all by itself within a day (or later that same day). <p>My dealer did find several misfire codes when I brought it in for scheduled maintenance and replaced my original ECU at my last service (10,000 mile in mid April). They also recommended using lighter oil (they installed 5W-30 dino which I recently replaced with 10W-30 Mobil 1). No problems since but if it happens again I don't think I'd be too concerned.<p>Regards,<p>Charlie<br>98.5 1.8TQMS (11,500 miles)
Old 05-24-1999, 07:40 PM
Ian S.

Default Happens in the 2.8 too...

It happened to me two weeks ago: rough running not long after starting then engine light came on for a day or so. I also had started and stopped the car (pulled out of garage to wash it) the previous evening.