A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Cold start noise (which you can listen to)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2002, 09:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold start noise (which you can listen to)

Like many of you, I get a funky noise when starting the car after it has been sitting in the cold for several hours. If you want to hear the noise yourself, I have made it available on the web (see link below). The noise is hard to describe in words. I like to think it sounds like a mastadon might have sounded in prehistoric times -- sort of a loud, warbly scream. It kicks in about 2 seconds after starting (only when cold), and usually stops after just a couple seconds. The sound sample that I recorded is typical. Also, there appears to be a single CLICK right before the noise kicks in, and the revs run up just a bit, then settle down to normal idle. So, it appears to be related to something that doesn't start moving until a few seconds into the power-up sequence.

It's been doing this for years ('98 1.8TQ), and doesn't appear to indicate anything. Still, I'd love to know what it is. Any ideas?<ul><li><a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~c.dunworth/sounds/ColdStartNoise.wav">Hear my car bray like a mastadon!</a></li></ul>
Old 12-28-2002, 09:43 AM
Elder Member

eeek that sounds awful...
Old 12-28-2002, 09:52 AM

weird.....
Old 12-28-2002, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Hard to say unless I was standing there
Old 12-28-2002, 10:44 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2 possibilities: lack of lubrication or bad belt tensioner

Check the oil level, mine makes a metallic sound on startup if the oil level is low. Also, consider changing to a thicker oil that won't drain into the pan as quickly.

The belt tensioner going bad sounds very similar as well. It wobbles for a couple seconds on startup before the tension catches. It is a common problem and can be replaced by the dealer.

Hope this helps,
Tomasz
Old 12-28-2002, 12:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: 2 possibilities: lack of lubrication or bad belt tensioner

Thanks for the suggestions. The oil level is fine, and doesn't appear to be related (though if it were, wouldn't a thinner grade be better, since the problem shows up in cold weather, when the oil becomes more viscous?).

Also, we might be able to rule out the belt tensioner if you could answer this (which I can't, since I'm a total novice under the hood): Does the tensioner first become "engaged" two seconds after the engine starts? Or is it "always on", so to speak, with every rev of the engine? To be even asking this question demonstrates how little I know about the belt and tensioner. Anyway, I ask because my noise shows up about two seconds after the engine has started, and immediately after an audible click (which I suppose is a switch being thrown electronically).

I saw some replies to earlier posts that it might be the A/C compressor, but I can't try this theory out until the car sits in the cold long enough to guarantee it will make the noise when I start (probably tomorrow morning). A royal pain to diagnose -- you only get one crack at it each day.

Thanks again for the help...
Old 12-28-2002, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: eeek that sounds awful...

Before you start your car turn your key to the on position then hit the econo button on the climate control where it will light up. then start the car .if the noise goes away then your a/c belt is too loose.
Old 12-28-2002, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I would say that it's the A/C compressor since it only does it after the car has started. Have you..

tried it with the HVAC (heater) turned completely pf?. The A/C compressor will not come on if the ventilation system is turned off. Try that out!
Old 12-28-2002, 03:38 PM

BELT TENSIONER
Old 12-29-2002, 09:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default It was the A/C compressor, after all

Or, rather, the belt that drives the A/C compressor. Started the car this morning with the climate control set to Manual with fan turned off. No noise while the car idled for 1 minute. I pressed the button to put climate control back into Automatic, and there was the shrieking noise, right on cue.

Thanks to all for your suggestions, especially silva and broslyn for ID'ing the A/C.

Peace
-chris

Quick Reply: Cold start noise (which you can listen to)