A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Comments on A4 99.5 after 1,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-1999, 12:01 PM
CraigB

Default My dealer installed my Rofrens...

They also installed my H&R/Koni suspension and didn't give me any grief. I paid handsomely for the suspension install (I have since found a cheaper place for upgrade work), but the dealer was ok with doing it (so far). They made notes in their records of upgrades that have been done; I guess so they know they don't have to warranty parts that I've replaced, etc. <p>As Cris suggested, try another dealer, if it's convenient.<p>CraigB
Old 05-07-1999, 12:15 PM
DaveL

Clair...which is a dealer...actually SELLS Rofens!
Old 05-07-1999, 12:27 PM

Default Yes it is true, some dealers are just avoiding potential liability . . .

A non-chip-friendly dealer (and those viewing aftermarket upgrades negatively) will likely inform Audi that a given failure may be attributable to aftermarket parts.<p>My dealer is totally against chips and most upgrades. They did, however, put my 17s on for me. Dealers may be concerned that if an aftermarket part fails and causes an accident or etc., they could be sued for installing the part by a TP. Also, a dealer may potentially get sued when a dealer installs an aftermarket part, the aftermarket part causes or contributes to a failure, and Audi subsequently refuses to cover the failure. Disclosure probably would help the dealer's position but a consumer may still sue when faced with a huge repair bill after a dealer installed a part that ruined an engine, transmission, or etc.<p>The dealer is probably not being an "***" (as so eloquently stated by Cris). He probably covering his own *** after experiencing or learning of bad experiences with aftermarket parts.
Old 05-07-1999, 01:41 PM
Ray Calvo

So, reinstall the OE pads before you have to see him for normal service
Old 05-07-1999, 01:54 PM
Reggie

brake warranty is void if I use aftermarket brake pads....- but that only means the pads. US law regulate that aftermarket items are OK.
Old 05-07-1999, 01:58 PM

If factory spec.
Old 05-07-1999, 02:39 PM
DaveL

Default From what I've heard Mintex pads are OEM on european Audis...

They however require a proper "bed-in" process which europeans understand. Since they think we Americans are idiots (which is often true!) they chose an OEM pad that doesn't require bed-in for US models.<p>Dave<br>'97 1.8TQMS with Raybestos and switching to Mintex next month<p><p>
Old 05-07-1999, 02:59 PM
stanj

Default Well, Carlsen disagree on that one

I had sqeal and grind and what you have. Asked Carlsen to fix it, twice, still no good. AWEFUL grind. Had Audis for the past 13 years and never heard anything like it.<p>So I bought some Mintex Redbox and asked them if they would install it, on my buck. "No, it's not OEM" to which I said "it's in Europe" and they were "No, our pads are the same as in Germany".<p>Mintex, baby. Squeal and grind is gone. WheelWorks in Santa Clara did it, $130 and one hour wait, take AmEx. What more would you want?<p>- Stan<br>
Old 05-07-1999, 03:08 PM
Ed

Default Re: Questions...

Was that for front and back? ($130)<br>I'm in San Jose and been looking for a place that can install the Mintex pads. Were you happy with their service?<br>Which A4 do you have? (1.8T, 99?)<p>Thanks in advance.<p>Ed
Old 05-07-1999, 03:25 PM
Stan

Default The aftermarket pads are warranteed by their supplier..

It's kind of a play on words, if you think about it. There is no problem with using aftermarkt pads. None. Audi can only warranty what they make. But if you have the dealer do the labor then that cost may be at risk.<p>Some folks fall for the $200 oil change. A friend with a BMW paid nearly 200 each time he had the oil changed and stuck with the dealer becasue he was tolod that their oil met BMW specs.<p>Stan<p><br>

Quick Reply: Comments on A4 99.5 after 1,000 miles