A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Considering buying an A4 Quattro --questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2001, 06:00 PM
NT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering buying an A4 Quattro --questions

I would appreciate the opinion of an Audi enthusiast! I'm looking for a sports sedan for
winter driving here in Michigan. (I have driven Saabs for the last 8 years).
Questions on the A4 Quattro:
1) I've heard the Quattro system is the best (along with Subaru's). Why? Will the A4 Quattro be better in the snow than the BMW 325xi (AWD)?
2) Should I get it with the Electronic Stability Control System? (I'm leaning that way)
3) Should I get the Turbo or the V6? Upgrade chip
on turbo? Enough power on turbo with the weighty AWD? (I love turbo engines.)
4) How much better will the all new 2002 A4 be vs.
the 2001? (Maybe I can get a better deal near the end of this model's run?)
Thanks!!!!! (I hope)
Old 06-03-2001, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default answers... maybe? =o)

1) Why is quattro best? I don't know if it is the "best" but it's damn good. It's been around for 20 years now.. or there abouts. Subaru's AWD system too has been around for a long time. BMW hasn't released an AWD car since the early 80's, and this is their first try at it since then. You get a hell of a lot more bang for your buck too, A4 vs 325xi.

2) ESP: It's a great thing to have, good for resale value. Quattro basically will provide you with the most of the grip/control you will need in bad weather, although it's NO replacement for driving only as fast as conditions permit. The ESP basically will prevent you from doing anything stupid, too much power going through a corner, and prevents "hard handling" but it can be turned off with a button...

3) 1.8t vs 2.8... well if you want to mod your car, go with the 1.8t, if you don't want to mod your car, go with the 2.8. And if you get really bored, get a blower for the 2.8.

4) 2002 vs 2001... can't really answer that one from personal experience as we haven't had one in the US to test... I personally prefr the 2001 body style and kinda rushed to buy it this year. The 2002 has an in-dash 6disc changer, dual exhaust, a 3.0Liter V6 6spd manual model as well. The frame is supposed to be 47% stiffer. But it has large front and rear valences that are unpainted and pretty damn ugly imho.

I suggest you go drive all the cars you're looking at. See how you like the ride, power, and little touches that show quality in design. Roll any window down half way, and SLAM the door shut... see how much the window rattles(guaranteed the subbies will lose this test). If you plan on spending money on a nice stereo DO NOT get a bose system, you're just waisting money =) anyways hope this helps....
Old 06-03-2001, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Some answers from my perspective (whatever the heck that is ...)

It is my personal belief that Audi's AWD system is superior to BMW's and possibly Subaru's. I wouldn't buy a Subaru for other reasons. I have no facts on which to base my opinion.

I think that ESP is a good safety feature for someone to have if they drive on potentially hazardous roads.

I got the Turbo and was planning to chip. All the warranty nonsense scared me off for now. If I was doing it over, I would get a 2.8 or an S4 if I could skip a few additional meals.

I would not recommend getting the first example of a new model (which the 2002 will be). The first year for any car is going to be a little rough. In some ways it may be a better car, but I am glad I have the 2001. It looks better, IMO.

You might have a hard time getting a 2001.5 if you wait much longer. From what I understand, you can't order a new one any longer.

If you have driven Saabs, then I think you'll be happy with an Audi. Less trouble free I think, but just as expensive to fix.
Old 06-03-2001, 06:36 PM

Default Drove my A4 quattro all winter in Michigan...lotsa snow! (more)

The quattro was great. I would give it lots of gas on snowy roads and the thing would just go. I really had to push it to get the wheels to spin. This really made a difference at stop lights in snowy conditions. I was always able to accelerate cleanly and quickly from the light, leaving all the 4WD SUV's in my snow plume!
Old 06-03-2001, 06:53 PM

damn that's sick, looking forward to my audi at U Chicago, give it some real weather to deal with