A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Considering downgrading to a Civic or Teg, any advice appreciated!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-1999, 01:39 PM
SE

Default Considering downgrading to a Civic or Teg, any advice appreciated!

Hi all... I've only had my A4 1.8T for a coupla months, but I'm beginning to think maybe I made the wrong choice... I really love the car, but I find that perhaps I worry about the car a little too much... at times, i feel limited as to what I can do with the car... I'll avoid driving it into the city and I don't like parking it in airport parking lots... i know an A4 really is just an entry-level luxury car at most, but I'm still pretty paranoid about my car... so now I'm thinking that perhaps I should trade it in for a Civic or Integra, in which case I'd be a lot less worried about the car... I'd feel a lot more at ease parking it just about anywhere, wouldn't be overly sensitive to door dings and the like... so now I'm just wondering that if I do go ahead and downgrade, if I'd regret the decision. Just wondering if anyone could share some insight into my dilemna and perhaps offer some advice/feedback? Thanks a bunch for any help!

BTW: What do you think might be an approx. trade-in value for a 99.5 A4 1.8T with just 6k miles? It's a 5speed, quattro, moonroof, bose, sports package, leatherette.
Old 09-21-1999, 01:56 PM
mpd333

Default Trading it in

Check out www.kbb.com for prices. Though I would doubt 1999 pricing info is on there. I would guess you will get nailed some. Since I just licensed my car yesterday, don't forget the SALES TAX that you paid on the car. For my 2.8, I just paid 2300 in sales tax. Add that into your cost basis for your car.

I know how you are feeling - I actually get my butt to work early so that I get the "better" parking spot. The first ding is the worst. From there, your emotional attachment will slowly pass.
Old 09-21-1999, 02:05 PM
Steve

Default Any way you slice it.....

... you're going to take a severe beating by getting rid of the car. Whether you bought it straight up or borrowed for it. But by far the worst part of trading from a car with some pep to one without is the lack of power. You end up trying to drive the downgraded one like you drove the old one. The end result is more wear and tear and more money spent on gas.

I wish you luck in your dilemma, but mpd333 is right, the first ding is the worst. After that it's all downhill.

Steve
'00 1.8T QM someday......
Old 09-21-1999, 02:24 PM
James

Take the money your willing to lose on the trade in to fix your dings.
Old 09-21-1999, 02:31 PM
Chris

Default Let the car get dirty, park it in bad areas, get over the paranoia, then just take care of it.

I went through the same thing, it'll pass.
Old 09-21-1999, 03:10 PM
dB

Default I'm the same way, but.......

the new-ness will wear off. I figure cars are tools. They're meant to be used. Think of it as your favorite weapon (bad anaolgy.) It's like classic cars. No point in locking them up and not driving them. I know, I have a '55 Austin-Healey. I drive it and don't worry.
Old 09-21-1999, 03:23 PM
Phil A

Default I haven't seen eally recent statistics, but Hondas/Acuras have been very popular with thieves

because there is such a demand for replacement parts--a result of high sales volumes. I'm pretty sure you're as likely, if not more likely, to have your Honda stolen. Bottom line is if a thief is determined enough, he will get your car, PERIOD.
As for body dings, my previous car was 1993 VW Corrado, and it had it's first ding in less than 2 weeks, despite all of my preventitive efforts. After my initial state of depression, I came to realize that it's inevitable, so don't let it ruin your enjoyment of the vehicle.
Old 09-21-1999, 04:20 PM
unbelievable

Default Why didn't you think about this before you bought the car!!!

Now you're going to lose a lot of money on trade in.
Old 09-21-1999, 04:28 PM
Cary B

Default You are not alone!!!......more....

As you can see we have all been through this. I've also considered reverting back to a VW. My advice is to try to desensitize (sp?) yourself to the car, A4's are very nice, and you should be careful with it, but learn to enjoy it from time to time as well. A majority of the Audi's that I see on the streets are NOT owned by the enthusiasts that you will meet through this site.

Hope that helps and good luck!
Cary B
Old 09-21-1999, 04:33 PM
Terry

Default Where are you located? I might be interested in purchasing it.

d

Quick Reply: Considering downgrading to a Civic or Teg, any advice appreciated!