A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Considering downgrading to a Civic or Teg, any advice appreciated!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-1999, 04:41 PM
pauls

Idea didn't work for me, worry about any shiney new car, only exception is a beater
Old 09-21-1999, 04:50 PM
nicky

Default Re: Considering downgrading to a Civic or Teg, any advice appreciated!

My friend;
You have a sickness called AUDI. But that's OK many others on this forum including my self have it too. It will go away just give it time. I also avoid the city and park all the way at the end of every parking lot, don't worry it's not fatal.

nick 99.5 1.8TQ
Old 09-21-1999, 04:57 PM
Don't do it

Don't do it if for no other reason than you will lose much $$$ on the trade in
Old 09-21-1999, 05:14 PM
mness

Default Wanna buy my GSR Sedan?

170hp, 8000 rpm redline, best front-drive shifter in existence, about as much room in the back seat as an A4 (it's a 4-door). No problems - still tight at 100,000 miles.
Old 09-21-1999, 08:33 PM
Frank

Default Re: Considering

I had a friend who for her graduation her father bought a brand new Honda Civic to replace a very old similar car, a Plymouth or something, really run down. The Honda was beautiful, it was paid for, pefect, right? No, she had to take it back and her old car back! ? You have to do whatever you want to do, keep your car or not, but it is so nice your car you might relax and enjoy it.
Old 09-21-1999, 08:53 PM
RickM

Default Keep the A4 and buy a cheap beater for airport parking, etc.

I thought I was gonna sell my '87 Saab 900 when I got my 99.5 1.8TQM. Then I realized, I didn't REALLY wanna leave that new beauty in the train station parking lot all day long while I commute into the city from the burbs. So I've kept the Saab, and it's now strictly a "station car". Good for airport parking lots too. It costs me virtually nothing to keep other than gas and insurance, and it'll last a good long while since it's getting really low mileage now. Meanwhile I have a nice new A4 sitting well protected in the garage, also getting low mileage use, which I can ENJOY driving when I want, and which my wife also really enjoys when she doesn't have a wagon full of kids to haul around. Best of both worlds. Get yerself a beater for those "worrisome" times and keep the A4 and ENJOY it!

Rick
Old 09-21-1999, 10:19 PM
JR

Default Great deal on a '96 Maxima SE (very common car)

I am selling our Maxima for our new '00 1.8t QMS that will arrive next month.

The Maxima SE, 5 spd. is in excellent condition and only has 72K miles. I am in sales. Fantastic acceleration. Asking $12,500.

JR
'00 1.8t QMS Silver
Old 09-22-1999, 04:13 AM
$$$

get a 750il...goes anywhere, no paranoia
Old 09-22-1999, 04:36 AM
Alf Udi

Default All new cars should come with a ding (MORE)

Imagine the guy at the factory that has to ding them -- what a job.

I use my 1980 for hazardous duty. It has been keyed, scraped, dung (ding - dung?) and abused by mechanics. I park it at the very front of the mall and think to myself: "go at it people, make my day".
Old 09-22-1999, 05:02 AM
Rodney

Default Hang in there, it will pass

It took me a while, but I don't spend all my time away from my car worrying about it anymore. In my situation, it was especially tough. I have the only A4 (one of about 2 or 3 Audis) on a Marine Corps Base of 47,000 personnel (not including family members). It is one of the nicest cars on base, or for that matter in the area. I was extremely aprehensive about leaving it for any period of time for fear of theft, damage, or vandalism. But after nine months here and getting rear ended by a Suzuki Swift (aka Geo Metro) that scuffed up my rear bumper, I have eased up and just treat it the way I have always treated my cars (even when I drove a beater I was obsessive about it). I'm always careful about where I park it, lock it up, and never leaving anything in it that someone might want to steal. When I fly somewhere I either park it at a friend's house or park it under a light close to the checkout booth (where it is in constant view of airport personnell).

As long it is not breaking you financially, hang in there, you'll get past it. Besides, you'll take a bath trading it in at this point, figure $3,000 less than what you paid (if you're lucky), and that's the price of the car...not including tax, title, etc. so you need to factor that in too.

Regards,
Rodney

'99 A4 1.8tqms

Quick Reply: Considering downgrading to a Civic or Teg, any advice appreciated!