A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Control arm bushings ... any quick fix?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2001, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 124 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Control arm bushings ... any quick fix?

Does anybody know what actually causes the control arm bushing to start squeaking in early A4s? Is it because they are dried out? Would spraying them with something like WD-40 stop them from squeaking?

I've got a squeak coming from my front suspension, but when I examine the bushings, they look fine (not crumbling or anything). Why are they squeaking? Is there anything that I can do short of having my whole control arms replaced?

Thanks guys.
Old 09-06-2001, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

federal mogul makes replacement parts for much less than audi
Old 09-06-2001, 02:42 PM

Default I lubed the bushing...the mechanic sprayed right inside the one where the noise was...now its gone!.

I don't know what he used...but it was some sort of grease/spray....he explained that the hot weather had dried out the joints. It has comeback since (4 months) and i got it sprayed again.
Old 09-06-2001, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default What kind of lube did he use ...?

When you say he sprayed right inside the bushing, do you mean he injected the lube, or sprayed around the outside of the bushing?

Do you know exactly which bushing he sprayed -- the straight or curved control arm, or the bushing where the strut attaches to the control arm, or ...
Thanks.
Old 09-06-2001, 02:47 PM

Default its a long drawn out answer.....

the Control arms...along with most of the A4 suspension uses urethane / nylon bushings. These are mineral filled and are unique to the design of the suspension, weather it be frontrak or quat. If you watch the suspension operate, the bushings allow lateral and non linear motion of steering, bump travel, and in quattro, driveline movement.

the bushings are molded into the control arms at either very cold or very hot temps...since the arms are AL, I would imagine cold rather than hot. This is why they cannot be replaced with aftermarket designs from Energy or K-Mac, etc...

Lube has been a very good solution from alot of AWers...i dunno about wd-40 vs something thats greaselss. WD attracts debris, greaselss usually dont.

I would imagine any aftermarket parts for these cars would include the arm with the bushings?? Doesent x4rtic have a link to a bushing mfg'r on his Tripod site???
Old 09-06-2001, 02:49 PM
Elder Member

Default I used Tri-Flow over year ago and it has not returned. It's just a spray teflon based lube. Spray...

....'em all and let God sort 'em out. ;-)
Old 09-06-2001, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 'Nother question ...

To lube a bushing, how exactly would I do it? Do I spray it on the outside of the bushing, or remove the control arm and then spray the whole bushing assembly, or what? What exactly is greaseless lube, and how does one apply it? Is it like graphite or something? Thanks again.
Old 09-06-2001, 03:08 PM

Default first, its a documented failure and recall by AoA

as for lubeing the bushings, I would use a straw sprayer and use minimal amounts around the rubber boots. Never remove these without proper tools, re-installing the arms requires weighting the suspension so the alignment of the long bolt matches the bushing area. Greaseless lube can be found easily, like LPS brand or something, its not expensive. Even a micro-dropper would work. I still say this should be documented to AoA and re-imbursement provided if they are worn.
Old 09-06-2001, 04:11 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Yes. Fristly though, if you are geting a squeaking noise, it is likely not the bushing, but the...

ball joint on the outboard end of the arm. What happens is, the grease dries up, and the ball begins to contact the inner part of the ball socket. The only cure would be to somehow insert new grease. the problem is getting it in without destroying the rubber dust boot.

BTW, the arms in teh aftermarket are made by the same company as the originals. Not only that, but they are the previous generation. If you want the latest and 'greatest' control arms you have to go to your dealer.
Old 09-06-2001, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Do you know up to what years it affects?

I've got a 2000 1.8TQMS, and occasionally going over bumps, i hear this highpitched squeak coming from (seems to be) front driver wheel. I've only got 10,000 miles on it.

Quick Reply: Control arm bushings ... any quick fix?