A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Control Arm Recall

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2000, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Control Arm Recall

Has there been a recall on control arm problems? Because as one person showed me, about 60% of A4s need to repair the control arms every 25k miles...at about $1500 per repair....My warranty was up a year ago and im VERY annoyed.
Old 10-12-2000, 10:04 PM

Default Re: Control Arm Recall

How many times have you had your control arms receplaced and which ones? I have a 2001 on order and am also concerned.
Old 10-12-2000, 10:12 PM

Default Re: Control Arm Recall

I bought a used 96 A4...great car except for this problem that surfaced. Being a undergrad student money is an issue in repairs. Tomorrow ill look through my records and see if theyve been replaced before. I think YOU will be lucky in that, since the prob first arose in 97 or so, Audi has experimented with a ton of different compounds and has PROBABLY found one that doest wear out. But im still in the dark and would like to know what the deal is. I will probably pay the $1000 if my appeal to Audi to pay for the parts and/or labor isnt accepted, under the condition that they warranty the new control arms for at least 35k miles. If not, well then I can live with the noise until we finally get a class action lawsuit.
Old 10-12-2000, 11:49 PM

Default It's not really worth being concerned about, IMO. It's really...

...just an annoyance due to the squeaking, but there is no safety factor or anything associated with the control arm noises. I think what happens is dirt gets in them and causes the bushings to rub and squeak. Also, I'd be willing to bet that once the warranty is gone, an independent shop can replace the parts for a fraction of what the dealer charges.
Old 10-13-2000, 04:58 AM

Default Incorrect on both counts...

As one who's been through it, I would say you're probably right that "...there is no safety factor or anything associated with the control arm noises", but I can tell you from direct experience the handling characteristics go all to hell when the control arms are shot. The car sways in lane changes and in crosswinds, and the road-holding deteriorates markedly.

Furthermore, it's more than just the squeaking sound that's annoying. The motion of the "control arm pin" (sorry, I don't know the real term) is definitely impeded when worn.

If you know of an independent shop that can "...replace the parts for a fraction of what the dealer charges", please let us all know. I haven't read anything of the sort on this forum, and I haven't been able to verify that at any of the independent shops where I inquired.

Crossbow
Old 10-13-2000, 05:03 AM

Default skymorgan: I wouldn't worry too much on the 2001s...

The posts on this forum suggest the problem was pretty much limited to the '96s and '97s. It does seem that some time around '98, Audi started using a bushing compound which is less susceptible to wear.

The forum posts also suggest this problem is more prevalent in colder climates, where road salt appears to be a factor. I live in MA, and most of the other "victims" are from northern states. I don't recall ever reading about anyone in FL, TX or CA with this issue.

Enjoy you 2001 when it arrives.

Crossbow
Old 10-13-2000, 05:42 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default We replaced the controll arms on the 96 some time in '98

The part numbers on the originals were (part number here)-B, the new ones were (part number)-N or someting like that. In other words, there were a number of revisions between the ones shipped with our '96, and the ones we purchased from Audi in '98. I would advise getting the parts from an Audi dealer, as the aftermarket is unlikely to have the newer parts, which you definitly want!!
Old 10-13-2000, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default I think Chuck meant that...

...an independant shop will be cheaper on the labor. The parts would still be Audi parts, unless there is something in the aftermarket (which i doubt).
Old 10-13-2000, 10:14 AM

Default Check my post at the bottom of this page...

There are options

Jason Charron
Vortrag Motorsports
Old 10-13-2000, 01:48 PM
HJB
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Are those bushings stock type or delrum material? Thx

Do you provide reburbished arms on exchange basis? If so, what's the cost?

Quick Reply: Control Arm Recall