A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

cover next to rear ashtray

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-1999, 06:39 PM
Sam

Default cover next to rear ashtray

Hi,

Today I was cleaning my rear ashtray when I noticed that there is black cover next to it. It has a slide down arrow and the icon of an engine with some arrows through it. I slided it down and then a metal piece fell down . I removed the cover and nothing is under it. I managed to put the cover back and it can still slide up & down. However, I have no idea where the metal piece came from. What is it for? Where should I put back the metal piece? Is it something that I should let the dealer do it next time I take it in for service?

Thanks.

Sam
1999 1.8T QS Tip
Old 11-14-1999, 06:48 PM
MikeSS

The diagnostic plug used to be there--now nothing
Old 11-14-1999, 07:28 PM
Wylie

Default Re: cover next to rear ashtray

I gathered the same thing as what the prior response confirmed. to put it back on, the metal piece clips up into the plastic part, then slide it back into the holes, with the rounded part going in 'first', toward the front of the car...
seems kinda weird, but it does go that way
Old 11-14-1999, 07:31 PM
Roger B

Default Re: cover next to rear ashtray

The metal thing is the clip that holds the cover securely in place. If it fell off, one of the plastic clips that holds the clip in place may have broken off - it has on mine. I guess this is one of the few Audi parts that isn't top notch quality. My advice to those who haven't broken this cover yet, don't touch it, once is all it takes to break it.

- Rog

'99 Silver 2.8QMS
Old 11-15-1999, 10:59 AM
Aud Man Out

Default Unbelievable Human Experiement

"The temptation to take the precious things we have apart to see how they work must be resisted for they never fit together again..." Billy Bragg

I did the exact same thing - as I am sure many of you reading this post have. I just had to know what was behind that "mysterious" little black cover with that bizarre icon. Now it won't go back on and I too have lost the little metal clip thingy that came flying out....

JASON, if your reading this why not do an owner's poll on how many A4 orgers have removed this piece?

Aud Man Out
98 1.8TQMS, Neuspeed, disco ball
Old 11-15-1999, 12:25 PM
Patrik

Default Really funny! When I got my 99.5 1.8TQMS in june....

..I could resist taking that thing apart but every other person that sits in the back seat of my car has to take that thing apart! its unbelievable! and once they see that it was not a" lighter" they feel embarrassed for having been so nosy.
Old 11-15-1999, 09:23 PM
HansH

Count me in!