A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

dammit. check engine light came on this morning, my guess- oil...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2002, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dammit. check engine light came on this morning, my guess- oil...

started the car this morning, started to drive off and get a "little" barely any, but it was noticeable, bucking then the check engine light flashes and then stays on. stop the car then restart, still on. shut engine off and for some reason checked the oil level and the dipstick is dry. walk over to where the car was parked, no oil anywhere. then i remebered i had oil leaking into my turbo and throttle body a couple 1k miles ago. long story short new turbo and all parts surrounding. now i know the damn thing was leaking oil into the exhaust based on the smoke at cold start and i told audi this and they knew the problem, hell even did all the work. so i look below the oil cap into the engine and the top end is dry, a little smoke too. so the engine is about 1.5 quarts low on oil and i told the damn tech to check the oil level since it was LEAKING for christ sake. obviously they didn't and i didn't follow up behind them like i should have.

now could the engine light be on for this reason? and does it need to be plugged into a VAG to find out the problem and be reset? and what other reprecussions am i looking at based on low oil?

the car runs fine since i added oil, but the light will not go off. i am gonna be pissed if there is other problems under the hood because of this. i tried searches and found little so i hope someone can help. thanks in advance.
Old 07-21-2002, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Disconnect your battery for 5 minutes......

...and recconnect. This should clear the check engine if the problem is gone. The codes will still be stored, so have it checked on your next visit. The light will stay on once triggered even if the problem is cured. You either need to have it reset, or do the disconnect the battery deal.
Old 07-21-2002, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default if the problem is not directly the oil level...

will the light come on again and let me know i have another problem? or will it just be stored on the ecu and not trigger any other warnings? or should i just thoroughly read your post (thanks i saw it when i re-read it)?

thanks for the help.
Old 07-21-2002, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default damn. didn't work. sounds like it could be more than low oil now. man this sucks. thank god for...

audi assured. hope the problem is under warranty. just what i needed. both cars f-in up at once, and i just got back from three weeks out of the country.