A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Day 2: Brakes still clicking. Desperation setting in.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Day 2: Brakes still clicking. Desperation setting in.

The Setup: ECS Stage 1 X-Drilled/Slotted Rotors with HPS Pads.

My friend came over again and we tried to diagnose my brake clicking/popping problem. Generally speaking, the Front Drivers side pops a lot worse than the Front Passenger side, however when we placed longer lug nuts in the drivers side and left the passengers side with the shorter bolts, the passenger side clicked louder/more frequent than the drivers side.

We also saw the caliper move when I braked at a stand still. I'm not sure if this is normal (Going to check/compare with another friend's A4), it seemed as if the caliper was moving a lot and definitely looks like there could be some play/movement between the pad and caliper. Nvertheless, the spring clip looks tight and the caliper bolts are torqued pretty hard.

Today is the last day we are going to try and attempt to fix the problem. I have two options if we can not fix it today. Either send it to an Audi Shop and see if they can diagnose the problem/fix it (More money and time and may not solve the problem), or go back to ECS tuning and drop another grand into getting the boxster calipers. I've already had the mechanic who installed the kit take a look at it and he basically told me its the rotors because its a 2 peice floating rotor design and the aluminum hat/rotor will heat at different times and cause play in the brake system. Which I think is BS, but I'm open to anything at this point. However, if it is the rotors and I drop more money on Boxster calipers, that would be a complete waste.

On a side note...
I'm at work so I can't search right now but will the boxster calipers fit under my 18x8.5 32 offset BBS RS-GT's?
Old 08-09-2005, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I'm 99.99% sure the wheels aren't hitting the caliper. Theres a lot of extra room. More...

I should also mention... The click/pop occurs right when I press on the pedal and before I feel the car actually slowing down. Thinking it could be the pistons or brake lines?
Old 08-09-2005, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Have you checked the caliper carriers, those are supposed to be 90ft-lbs

not the actual caliper bolts, those iirc are 18 ft-lbs