A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Dealer Problems - Need Advice.....(very long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-1999, 03:36 PM
Mike D.

Default Dealer Problems - Need Advice.....(very long)

Ok, here's my problem. There's not too many Audi dealers in my area. 2 of them are w/in 20 miles, the others are 40 miles or more. I've been told to stay away from one dealer by my boss, he said he had a horrible expeirence w/ them. I go to the other dealer and test drive an A4 1.8TQ. The salesperson who delt with me said he usually sells VW's but since the Audi guys were tied up, he'd help. I tell him what I'm looking for (didn't like the color they had) and he said he'd get back to me. Well, he didn't retrun my calls in a timely fashion, when we did talk, nothing was definite about what he found. I got fed up and decided to deal w/ another salesperson who would take me as a serious buyer. I call the dealer, speak to the other sales rep and he said basically we need to make a deal before they do a "real" search. I'll get back to that in a minute. I hang up w/ him and immediatley the phone rings and it's the other rep who I didn't like, he says he found one. I told him I spoke w/ another rep and I appreciated his "efforts" but that I'd deal w/ the other guy.

Phone rings a little later. It's the new sales rep saying he spoke w/ the old rep (confused yet?) and sorted things out. Apparently the VW rep was working w/ a Audi rep on finding one (car I like). So now I had the choice to deal with VW guy (who is now pissed) or the Audi sales rep he was working with. I choose the Audi rep. This guys starts to sound a little pissed too. He proceeds to tell me in order to get the car on their lot, I had to come in and make the deal. I said I wasn't going to put money down unless I got to see and drive the actual car I was getting. Well, he said company policy is to have a commitment from the buyer before they get the car. At this point I'm getting little pissed myself. I told I'd call him next week and if they didn't have the car they'd just have to do another search.

My 2 problems are 1- I don't know if I'm going to get a good deal because I probably pissed off both guys and 2- I want to see and drive the damn car before I buy it!!! Can someone enlighten me on what to do.... I'm watching this slip through my hands. One more note, I'd rather get the car from this dealer becuse their close rather than the next state (although that dealer says they won't have a problem getting me what I want). Thanks for "listening" and for whatever advice you may provide.

Mike D. Future A4 1.8TQ owner (hopefully)
Old 08-26-1999, 04:07 PM
AlexI

That is standard, who the heck is going to bring cars in from all over so you can test them?
Old 08-26-1999, 04:13 PM
Reggie

Default If you drove the car with all the options you like,

you will know how the other one drives. There are not differences between cars unless the options are different.

If you negotiate a price and the car comes in with problems they are obgliated to fix them. No different than if you order the car from the factory (which I did). Think you are worrying about mouse nuts.

Reggie

98.5 30vQMS
Old 08-26-1999, 06:02 PM
jfl

You seem to easily **** people off. You catch more flies with honey...
Old 08-26-1999, 06:12 PM
Bob

You sure do demand a lot from people...does your significant other put up with this
Old 08-26-1999, 06:36 PM
jeff

this is normal: if they don't have what you want in stock, you give dep and they search for car
Old 08-26-1999, 07:12 PM
Mike D.

Default I thought dealers did that (more)

When I bought my last car, they searched for the one I wanted and then delivered it to the dealer. I was able to test drive and look over the car before I put anything down. I thought this was standard practice.... This is only the 2nd car that I'm purchasing so I'm kind of a novice at this.

Mike D.
Old 08-26-1999, 07:14 PM
Mike D.

Default Actually, I usually told I'm too nice... Thought I'd be a little more aggresive.... (more)

since I didn't want to get taken advantage of. And no, I don't easily **** people off.

Mike D.
Old 08-26-1999, 07:17 PM
Mike D.

Default Didn't think I was demanding a lot... I never made a big purchase like this....(more)

I just wanted to see and drive the car.... friends of mine also said I should see the car. I never dealt with more upscale dealers so I didn't know what to expect.

Mike D.
Old 08-26-1999, 07:45 PM
Cris

Default Take a deep breath...advice here

Believe it or not, Mike... this is the way most dealers work, esp. imports. This is what you will probably want to do,... go to the dealership... pick out the engine you want, w/ most of the options you want - even if it's not your color.... and go for a test drive. See how you like the feel of the engine (1.8T or 2.8)... the transmission (5spd or Tip)... seats (leather/cloth/sport/non-sport). From there on... decide what you want. Tell the dealer about the car with you specs (the color you want...etc.). Then, have the dealer do a trade or order. It can be somewhat of a frightening, first time, experience if you tell people you are buying a car you have never driven before.
Don't worry about it. Alot of us here have ordered our cars w/o ever seeing the car first. Look at everyone that are plunking $$$ deposites for the S4. It's not even here yet, better yet... no price has been set! I ordered my Brilliant Yellow A4 with almost every option without ever test driving the A4. I actually test drove a totally different A4 when my car was being built! That may not be what you want to do (me and my family have owned Porsche/VW/Audis all our lives - we trust the name).
Best bet is to test drive a car that's closest to what you want... then decide.
Good luck and hopefully you will become a regular poster on this board!

Cris

Quick Reply: Dealer Problems - Need Advice.....(very long)