A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

The dealer said they had to reset the "readiness codes" What are Readiness Codes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-1999, 11:24 AM
1C00lVC

Default The dealer said they had to reset the "readiness codes" What are Readiness Codes?

The dealer said they had to reset the "readiness codes" on my '99 A4 (Q/TIP), in oder to resulve a chronic 'Check Engin' light,

What are Readiness Codes?

Arie.
Old 12-26-1999, 11:46 AM
A4onMonday

Default Re: The dealer said they had to reset the "readiness codes" What are Readiness Codes?

I believe this are the settings for oil change and the check engine lights. So, it will light up on a certain preset mileage interval..
Old 12-26-1999, 09:01 PM
John Stahmann

Default Re: Readiness Codes

When a car is delivered to a dealer, part of the PDI process is setting readiness codes, making sure everything works. The dealer is probably setting all DTC memories to 'clear' and making sure everything checks out, just like when they got the car from Germany.

On a 4 cylinder car they do 9 things and those 9 things are considered "Setting Readiness Codes". The 9 things are...

1. Clear DTC Memory: 2-5
2. Check Readiness Code Setting
3. Check Adaptation of Throttle Valve Control Module
4. Check Readiness of Pre and Post Heated Oxygen Sensor
5. Check Response Time of Front Heated Oxygen Sensor
6. Check Three Way Catalytic Converter
7. EVAP Canister Purge Regulator Valve Check
8. Leakage Check of Fuel Tank System
9. Check Readiness Code Setting.

On a 6 Cylinder car there are a couple of extra steps which are check the second Front Heated Oxygen Sensor, second Catalytic Converter, and Check the Secondary Air Injection.

You might want to ask them for a printout. The usually will print a copy for themselves anyway.

Hope this helps.
John
Old 12-27-1999, 12:13 PM
1C00lVC

Default Re: Readiness Codes

Thanks John,

After reading your post, I checked again the repair ticket, and it sais: "setting readiness codes" as if they were never set.

I baught the car on December 23rd ('98), and it was towards teh end of teh day. when I was done with teh sales guy, we were the only 2 people in teh dealership, and he "gave" me the car to use for teh holidays, but teh car was never preped by the mechanucs...

Hummm...

Arie.
Old 12-28-1999, 12:17 PM
to look for and store DTCs. Tony

Default Readiness code is checked when emission testing is done, to ensure that the ECU has had a chance

nt