A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

The dealer tells me it is normal to hear pads rubbing while driving.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2000, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The dealer tells me it is normal to hear pads rubbing while driving.

I hear a metallic sound from my new pads that i have never heard before. What is up with this. They tell me that since pads dont have asbestos anymore, they rub and sound funny. This guy was a Jeep mechanic .
Old 04-03-2000, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Well...my rotors are slightly out of whack...so I hear rubbing on and off

I have never gotten worried about it...

I did have an occurrence where my right rear pad went down to nothing...
while my left rear was almost brand new. Something about a warped
backing plate.

Steve S.
00 S4
Old 04-03-2000, 10:37 PM

Default What kind of noise? Please read this.

I heard some whine and squeeking when driving once with a friend. I thought it was the car in front of us but when parking I noticed that it was actually my car. It was clearly coming out of brakes. I thought that the left rear brake caliper or handbrake was stuck so that it wouldn't let go off when releasing the brakes. Ok. I asked from the local dealer and they agreed and said that they should take off the brake calipers and clear them up. I was watching when the guy begun doing it and he just said - "No wonder it made noise. This is your brake pad. And this, and this..."

It was at least in five different pieces. I think it had overheated and just cracked into pieces. So if you're hearing a squeek after you release the brake, get your car serviced. The calipers may be stuck. Here in Finland, if you want to take good care of your car, you have your calipers cleaned every year. I think they haven't used asbestos for at least ten years now in Europe and believe me, there should be no extra squeals or noises coming when not braking.

Sometimes the pads start to squeek while braking, but I think that it usually means that you have misused the brakes. My father always used the brakes very lightly and didn't use the engine to help braking. The brakes were in horrible condition, squeeking like train when stopping ;-) The pads get hot and after some time they get vitrified (?). Usually there is nothing you can do about it afterwards.

I bought the car and took it for a recall repair and they changed the front pads and I did the rest, so I had like a new beginning. I use engine to slow speed and brake heavier. I don't mean that you should brake at maximum. I'd rather say, when you NEED to press the brake pedal, do it. If you don't really NEED to press it, don't do it. Use the brakes when you need to slow down the speed more than you could do with a reasonable motor braking. With tip you can easily change into lower gears and with manual, there is usually NO reason to press the clutch down unless you are intended to stop and want to keep the engine running. This saves a lot of gasoline also when done appropriately, since the ecu doesn't inject any gasoline when you release the gas pedal (until near the idle rpm). And as a conclusion, my brakes don't squeek or make any other strange noises. They work fine. The only complaint is that the brake dust is driving me mad.

I'm sorry if I got you wrong but hope this helps someone..
Old 04-04-2000, 06:50 AM

Give it a thousand miles... try some hard breaking to wear the pads in... shouldn't be a problem.