A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Dealership HORROR story...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2002, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So, who are you? No, I'm an idiot, and didn't see the block...

Let's roll play. You're the customer, I'm Audi.

C: Your dealer left a block of wood in my suspension after a clutch change. I want you to replace my modded suspension.

A: No, it's not our parts. We don't use wood blocks, and have no idea why a wooden block would be at the top of the control arm for a clutch job. How do we know your modded suspension wasn't damaged by abusive driving, and want us to pay for it?

Get it... You obviously don't know anything about the mechanical workings of a suspension, and know even less about how a business works.

Get a clue.
Old 08-28-2002, 01:53 PM

Does this dealer work on a lift that is under the car (like a jack), or a lift that's driven on to?
Old 08-28-2002, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No I don't stop;-) Instead of complaining, I am laying out the facts.

This e-mail put together with several other of your e-mails, gives us a more complete picture.

Chipped+turbo=more hp = clutch worn out faster (while car is technically under warranty ).

Nothing personal here, but if AoA knows that, they'll jump all over it. Cancel out any payment to Commonwealth for work done under warranty. Certainly fixing it is going to be on Mark's dime. So the thing is to convince Mark that he WANTS to fix your car to original characteristics.

-seeing how you know nothing of the situation and obviously are giving commonwealth the benefit of the doubt for obvious reasons.

No I don't know much about the situation. That is why I am asking you questions. I know more about Commonwealth than I do you, so I am trying to find out how this came about and where you are coming from.

"It was your choice to mod the car, right ?"

-So what is your point, that is irrelevant given the fact that the dealership AGREED to work on the car.

That is so. However, involving AoA may not be such a good idea from a warranty standpoint. You can draw your own conclusions regarding that.

"You went to the dealer, right ?"

-What do you think, my car didn't magically drive itself there.

It was a choice you made, knowing you were giving them non-oem parts for a non-oem car, whilst having the car serviced under warranty. There are risks inherent in that.

"Now it appears the dealer has screwed something up, right ? "

-You got that right.

Did Mark take you out in any other lowered A4 that made sounds like yours, to prove his point ? It seems like an odd blanket statement from him.

"Because the car is not longer stock, we don't have a widely documented benchmark of how it should work, right ?"

-Can a clutch install be that difficult.

No, it shouldn't be. Another reason why I'd suggest finding out who the tech was. Some are better than others. I know some of the techs and can give pointers, but I'm not going to air dirty laundry here on AW.

"You don't want AoA knowing details of this case becuase your warranty will disappear, right ? "

-Are you trying to threaten me?

Not in the slightest. I am saying however that the more you involve official warranty advocates, the more likely you will run into difficulties with your non-warranty compliant car. I don't have to do a thing - this situation has enough grey and black areas as it is. I'm staying out ! :-)

Do you have any proof that the suspension didn't make these noises when it was dropped off ? Was anyone with you in the car while it was clunking ? Now don't get defensive with me for even suggesting this, but rather think of it as preperation for being in a court of law where the only thing the judge wants is facts and witnesses. If you can produce an in-car video from just prior, and/or a mechanically adept 3rd party ( mechanic or something like ) that has recently driven or ridden in the car, that would be ideal. All I am saying is that instead of making it your word against his, produce something that swings things clearly in your favour. Obviously I'm not the judge, but think of it if you end up in AoA arbitration. You'll need evidence - especially since your car isn't stock.

You need to put yourself in the other guy's shoes for a minute and imagine having hundreds of customers, of which some have legit complaints, others are scamming, and you need to walk the line of pleasing them and staying within guidelines. What can and will you do with the limited resources allocated to you on a monthly basis ? I'm not saying you're being unreasonable, but I asking you to understand the limitations. You have an out of spec car that the dealer seems to have messed up in some fashion.

Is there something wrong with trying the potential solution I posted twice already ? Wouldn't it be preferable to having AoA lean over your shoulder - whether from direct contact or via the BBB ? I am using my experience with the process to try and tell you how to get your car fixed with your warranty intact ! You need to understand that if you don't have a strong and carefully presented case, you could be out the repair and the warranty. You may not get everything your way since your modded car puts you in a far less strong position. That may not be fair or right in the ultimate sense, but it is the reality. It's obvious that you are frustrated. I would be too.

This is all I'm going to post. It's up to you to decide how you wish to approach the matter. I've given you everything I know to help resolve the problem. I hope that you and Mark can come to an amiable solution.
Old 08-28-2002, 03:27 PM

Default After reading what you have just written...

I have a headache. I would rather pay the money fix it myself and just not deal with them anymore. I took the day off of work to fix this mess that they did. Time is money, and the more this drags on, the more time it wastes, the more headaches I have. I will be contacting the BBB and AOA tomorrow and log a couple complains with 2 more parties as witnesses to my events. I had a friend with me the entire time when I went into the dealership and I had a tech at DTM witness the block of wood.
Old 08-28-2002, 03:30 PM

Default Ok you just defined stupid.

First off the dealership would have to remove the tranny for the clutch install. While in the process they probably used the wood to support the motor. And yes the dealership did say they used the wood. Second, I didn't my suspension. I said something in my front end to do with steering. You need to learn how to read.<ul><li><a href="http://www.hookedonphonics.com">Try this, it just *might* work for you.</a></li></ul>
Old 08-28-2002, 04:35 PM

that sucks... your tires look pretty bald dude (sorry to pile-on)
Old 08-28-2002, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default They have a mix of 1 post and 2 post hoists when I was last there.

Changing over to mostly 2 post.
Old 08-28-2002, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Mmmm,.. Commonwealth is usually one of the recommended

dealers to go to for service in SoCal.
I've even been taking my Audi there because of recommendations here.

Hope you can work it out with them. Keep us posted.

BTW
My approach would be to:
1. Try and get it back in the shop and find out exactly what is broken/damaged and making the noises. Threaten to get AOA involved, better business bureau, whatever "stick" it takes to get their attention. Keep it professional.
2. Determine if it is normal wear or caused by the wood block.
3. Get it fixed. You might have to accept paying for part of the repair due to your mods and mileage.
4. Get on with life.

Just my .02
Old 08-28-2002, 05:37 PM

Default With the attitude you display here

I can see why Mark would get short with you. You are your biggest problem
Old 08-28-2002, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Couple of Points:

It sounds like everyone is at fault of something, to make this situation this BAD, for you and for Mark.

Bottom line here (worst case risk management 101) you could lose you warranty on the rest of the car 100%. It looks like a 2000+, so you should have time and should have miles on your warranty/service. Audi can pull that and black ball you from any warranty dealer repair in the US, specifically drive train and suspension, if not everything. What amount of the warranty do you still have, are you risking, and what does that now non-warranty work cost you in time/money?

If that is a substantial number in your world, it might be time to re-plan your moves. I can't answer that for you.

That's the long term problem (including resale), the short term problem is to get the car repaired to run/ride like it did before you brought it there, including a new clutch. I read you are very pissed (and I am sure I would be too), but I am going to be the ******** that tells/reminds you that that attitude does not foster help from the only people, that are not required to help, to help. Remember, you are after getting the car fixed; your path should be to fix the problem and not **** off everyone along the way.

I have had issues at that dealership myself, but Mark has always worked with me (nothing this big, I admit) to find an acceptable solution. A apologize if the candid points are out of line, but I am very used to figuring out paths to get what I want (girlfriends always find that a flaw for some reason, they call it manipulation.....go figure) and pissing off a lot people is not a proven method.

Best of luck.

Quick Reply: Dealership HORROR story...