A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Dear Audi, why did you have to place the quattro fuel filter in that location!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dear Audi, why did you have to place the quattro fuel filter in that location!?!?

I must say, I've never been as frustrated working on my car until changing the farking fuel filter. I used Rob@audiworld's write-up and it was very helpful. The only problem was that Audi uses a square nut on the back side against a plastic clamp. I was able to use a T-40 torx (6-pt) socket in place of the required 12 pt to loosen the screw. The problem was that the square nut decided to turn loose with the screw! Metal against plastic and metal won. I must have spent over an hour turning while trying to hold that stupid nut in before I turned postal and started prying the band apart. After about 2 hours wasted trying to be civil I pried the plastic clamp apart. The back nut came through the other plastic clamp end and out came the filter. The holes were enlarged and I used a ziptie in place of the old screw. It's holding quite well along coupled with the tank reattached. So far no leaks detected. I used new banjo washers and torqued down the fittings as snug as possible. I can't believe I consider this more of a PITA than a TB change. BTW, I did this on jack stands and although a lift would be ideal, it's more than doable.
Old 07-24-2004, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great...I was thinking of doing mine before my 'cross country trip. Joy.
Old 07-24-2004, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default You may be lucky...you may not...I think it's dependent on how stuck that screw is...

I think a few guys have just cut that clamp apart and ziptied it. I tried to save the clamp before getting frustrated to the point I pried that thing apart. That plastic is incredibly durable! If you get to the stage where you can't get the screw totally out but decide to pry it apart, you may wind up in the same situation as me and can use a ziptie in place of the screw/nut.
Old 07-24-2004, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ah...i paid the stealership for mine =(

but i think it's totally worth it =)
Old 07-24-2004, 08:42 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I was wondering why all of you were quite today...

So that explains what you were doing...what about the ferret?
Old 07-24-2004, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default huh...i sat here all day...

cuz i have 1 gallon of gas left.
Old 07-24-2004, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default I woke up at 3pm today. I then went to Pep Boys to buy some Prestone for the Volvo.

I got back and remembered I had the fuel filter waiting to go in the Audi so I switched cars to work on. I'm glad I got it done but it really tested my patience. I drove around Princeton to test the car out. No leaks detected so far...
Old 07-24-2004, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Pay them to do your TB too then.

:-p

How much did they charge you? If it was $50 including parts, I'd pay for it. If it was $100 I'd rather go through what I did. I'll be able to change mine easily from now on...
Old 07-24-2004, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default After wk, made brake bleeder and started on the work I've posted about tonight.

Found cheap Victor tire gauge for pressure bleeder.The end screws off and has a pipe thread beneath.I tapped the hole on my sprayer and installed the gauge.They were even in different colors.My bleeder is now finished and I only spent $22 TOTAL.Sprayer tank was $12 at Sears,already with clear hose.Next job for me is the fuel filter and test my bleeder.Hope my filter is easier.
Old 07-24-2004, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Any reason you decided to change it? Is there a standard mileage? Any problems? Just curious.

Quick Reply: Dear Audi, why did you have to place the quattro fuel filter in that location!?!?