A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Definitive B5 A4 Coolant/Antifreeze Use Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 09:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Ok, that's not the actual name though. It reflects the fact it (Dexclone) is compatible w/all types.

So, what is the difference? lol, there are some, but I think the whole thing reflects on how overblown the whole "intercompatability" issue is. All these coolants are something like 98% ethylene glycol anyway.

lol, I have 3 types in our old Honda right now. I changed the thermostat and lost most of the G-05 coolant. I topped it with water, but it tested too weak concentration to last in the cold until I got to my leftover stash of G-05, so I drained the radiator and added a gallon of orange 50/50 Dexcool I got free into it. It was not topped all the way and not fully 50% strength, so I topped a quart from a new 100% jug of Prestone All Makes. The remaining 3/4 gallon will make up a perfect amount to refill when I do the timing belt next summer. I'll put the drained stuff I just blended in my friend's beater 100S.

I do fully believe we are seeing the final itteration of the species in the current Universal formulas.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a question for you, then...

I bought my A4 in June. There had been a dealership-done timing belt (and I assume water pump) job in March. Coolant was maroon, though.

I have twice drained the coolant reservoir (for various reasons) and filled with a 50/50 mix of DexCool. Coolant is now a pinkish/orange color.

I have a small coolant leak that I'm not going to fix for quite a while (PITA spot). I've been adding 50/50 DexCool to top it off.

What would you suggest?

Drain all the old stuff and add in Peak Global?

Or just start topping off with Peak Global?

I'd like to NOT drain if I didn't have to, but I will if you suggest it.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 1996 actually had G-11, to make things worse. If you*only*drained the reservior tank, I'd start over

with (drumroll) G-05! Since we know it's compatible with Dexcool/G-12, you are good there and more importantly G-05 definately has the silicates that are missing in your old formula. Did I mention MB puts a sack of silicates in the reservior tank? At a minimum, just drain the rad and coolant tank, refill (G-05 or even Global) and call it good until your next timing belt.

Yeah, I'd do that and maybe one variation would be if you did a timing belt job or a radiator go ahead and commit to Global/Universal, since it's a complete package.

Showing up at PepZone w/a jug of coolant to recycle sucks, but it seem like there maybe have been issues with your coolant mix when you got the car, plus MIXING AIR AND DEX/OAT/12 is the bane of that fluid. Dexcool haters call it gell or whatever and that's what I think VAG techs find in customer's cars, but blame it on the "mixing" of different coolants when customers are topping off leaky systems with otc jugs. That's why I say use water, they can't blame the customer for mixing then! Of everything in this thread I think that is the most relavent for you- air mixing into an OAT coolant system can definately cause problems. Switch it out.

I would hose flush your heater core too.