A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Diagnosis is in...........Turbo Failure.....RIP

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-1999, 11:58 AM
trifona

Default Diagnosis is in...........Turbo Failure.....RIP

Car is still producing boost, albeit reduced power at higher RPMS as well as Loud howling rush of air is present.

No one has any real answers for me.

The dealer says that as far as they can tell without disassembling the car, a spool is starting to go bad. Bad part.

APR says why should i assume its the chip...just because it's modified doesnt mean their part caused the problem. Which to an extent i agree...no one has reported any real problems with their chip. i was just put off BIG TIME by their holier than thou C.Y.A. attitude. A little more concern and a little less deflecting wouldve been just a bit more appropriate IMHO.

trifona

PS - I know im being harshed....but oh well....after today, i need to vent.
Old 11-22-1999, 12:17 PM
Should of went with a 2.8!!!

Yet another argument for avoiding those overheating bolt-on hair dryers...
Old 11-22-1999, 12:21 PM
Sean T.

Default That's a pretty lame and useless comment.

But so is this I guess.
I would hardly call turbos "useless bolt-on hard dryers".
But, to each their own.
Sean
Old 11-22-1999, 12:22 PM
Empty Checkbook..

Default Where were you when the dealer wanted an additional $5k?

Old 11-22-1999, 12:23 PM
Andy Hedin

Default You'll have to do better than that...

Pretty pathetic for one A4 owner to be flaming another...based solely on engine choice. I thought we Audi owners were above such childishness.

Anyway, Trifona's "turbo-failure" (if it actually is a failed turbo) would be a fairly unique situation as the KKK K03 turbos appear to be pretty darn reliable from everything that's been posted on this board. Of course I'm not considering the early wastegate-rod problem which isn't really a "turbo failure".

I for one, wouldn't trade my 1.8T for a 2.8...not enough tuning options on that engine for my taste. Of course, YMMV.

<A HREF="Mailto:andy_hedin@hotmail.com">Andy Hedin</A>
'97 A4 1.8Tqms, Garrett 1.0 Bar, ABT Filter, Borla Exhaust, European Headlights, more...
Old 11-22-1999, 12:24 PM
JayP

Some boost, whoosh- might be a torn hose.
Old 11-22-1999, 12:27 PM
GaryJ

YMMV: Your mileage may vary!! Woohoo, I finally know what that means (after a year on this board)
Old 11-22-1999, 12:41 PM
Dimitri

Could some blame be put on the shop that fixed your car after you had your wreck?
Old 11-22-1999, 12:43 PM
Got 1.8T (or S4) envy!!!

Sorry, had to post that...
Old 11-22-1999, 12:46 PM
Drew S.

Default As in, "Get a turbo. Mine lasted x miles. YMMV."

How funny and appropriate that "YMMV" comes up in this turbo discussion. I think some people wish that their mileage didn't vary with regards to the turbo lifetime.

Now now. Don't get your panties in a bunch. I'm not bashing the turbo. I do drive a 2.8 but that's because I wanted a 6 cylinder engine and not a 4. I would consider an S4 but I'm happy with my A4. Besides, I've gotten enough speeding tickets in almost two years of A4 ownership. I think I'd lose my license if I got an S4.

Quick Reply: Diagnosis is in...........Turbo Failure.....RIP