A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Did anybody ever use COD delivery/shipment for sales/buys from/to private parties?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did anybody ever use COD delivery/shipment for sales/buys from/to private parties?
Old 12-05-2005, 08:08 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Nope.

From a buyer's point of view, the seller could send you a couple bricks. I don't believe you're allowed to open the package prior to handing over payment on delivery. I try to do my homework on the seller to make sure they aren't fishy. Name, address, userid on website I found them, home phone, work phone, cell phone. I'll dial at least one physical phone (home or work and speak with them), as well as searches on the appropriate website to verify they aren't a crook. If it's a particularly large purchase, I might also request an eBay id, and look up their feedback and history there...as well as sending them an email through eBay asking them to respond back if that is indeed their acct.

As a seller...I leave it up to the buyer to do their homework. I ship nothing until I have payment in hand. Paypal is a funny thing. Too many people reversing transactions they initiated with their credit card...so eCheck or instant transfers only via paypal. eCheck requires appropriate clearing period (paypal notifies both parties when money has cleared).

Certain items like wheels, tires, etc., I will only buy locally. Too much of a chance that the items could be damaged, perhaps unknown to the seller. A face to face transaction allows me to personally inspect the goods before paying.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've done it with wheels. Seller has to lay out money for shipping.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks I think it'd be best to go through an escrow agency unless I buy the parts in person.

Or maybe paypal with a direct trabsfer as RKA suggested. With wheels you can definitely refuse shipment if they're not in good shape, but I think RKA is right COD shipments are not to be touched unless the delivery guy gets the check

Thanks for the insight.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think you are able to open the package before you hand over the money

you can refuse the package.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I had a guy do it with me when I bought cams and valve covers...

I rather of just given him the money in all honesty because it's a royal PITA. YOu need to be around in order to get the package, which means actually being home when the Brown Guy shows up at the door (they love coming at like 10am for me, and obviously I'm at work). Also, they charge extra for COD, something like $12-$20 seems to stick in my head.

Also, I picked up snow tires and wheels for my dad for his TT. THe seller said he'd just do it COD, and when they delivered the tires, they never collected or asked for a check. They just left the boxes and went on their merry way. So if we were not honest about it (I called the seller, told him what happened and asked for an addy so I could send him a check) he would have been out a set of wheels.

so in all honestly, not worth it in my book. It either costs too much, or leaves room for me getting screwed cuz the carrier doesn't do its job.