A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

DIN Radio Installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-1998, 05:28 AM
KAZ

Default DIN Radio Installation

I'm wondering if anyone has used the aftermarket radio install kit available from Scosche or LLtek. Which one holds the radio better and looks cosmetically better ?
Old 12-18-1998, 07:02 AM
stevebrown

Default I have Scosche and....

I think it looks great, being a one-piece unit.<p>Neither kit "holds" your radio...you'll see when you get the stock unit out, that there is a DIN space there for your DIN radio...you just have to fill in the gaps on the sides & top & bottom.<p>If you have a small, slightly recessed faced unit (like my Eclipse & some others), then you will have to use DIN spacers to bring your radio forward. Deal direct with Jerry at Scosche...he is familiar with the A4 & is extremely helpful.<p>Other issue is getting the Scosche piece stable if you have such a small faced head unit. This requires some creativity...mine is ROCK-solid now, tho'.<p>Good luck!<br>steve
Old 12-19-1998, 04:36 AM
s

Default Re: DIN Radio Installation

When I took my A4 with the Schosche kit to the local installers, they tried to remove the factory radio and said that all kinds of wires are routed through the factory unit and hence that it would be difficult or impossible to replace it. But I know other people here have been able to switch in-dash units: did that require all kinds of rewiring, or was it pretty straightforward?<br>
Old 12-19-1998, 07:12 AM
rob mack

Default Re: DIN Radio Installation

Whoa, Are you sure you went to a CAR audio installation shop? Any decent car audio place can replace the stock head with a aftermarket head in about 15 minutes. All you need are some adaptors for the wiring harness and power antenna, a few tools and a brain. Take your Audi to someone who REALLY knows car audio, not the local "we-install-it, you-pay-for-it-and-it-doesn't-work" place. You'll only be sorry when they wire your front pseakers to the back or the left speakers to the right...<p>Rob A4 1.8TQT w/ Alpine 7844 which sounds MUCH better than the stock head