A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Do any of you worry about getting rear-ended by lesser cars/skilled drivers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2000, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do any of you worry about getting rear-ended by lesser cars/skilled drivers?

As stock brakes go, Audi leaves little to be desired (except for those of you that seem to need Alcon six-piston calipers with rotors the size of extra-large pizza pans). While I love the brakes, I always worry whether or not the maroon behind me is paying enough attention or isn't following too closely that I get rear-ended.

Case in point, I'm driving home from work and a deer is just standing in the middle of the road (2 lanes, no shoulders). I slow down to a crawl, because I'm not sure which way he'll bolt. What worries me is the car behind me. It's approaching very rapidly (did I mention the roads were slick from an earlier rain?) and despite having plenty of sight/time to slow down, there's no indication that it's doing so. All I can do is cringe and hope I don't get added to that list of crunched A4s. Of course he can't slow down in time, but at least he had the wherewithal to pull into the other lane to avoid hitting me.

Anyone else have experiences like this?

--Cap
Old 05-10-2000, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Do any of you worry about getting rear-ended by lesser cars/skilled drivers?

"THEY" are always too close for comfort around here. Typically, 10-30 over speed limit on interstates and three car-lengths. In town, there is no way to keep "them" off your bumper in traffic.
Old 05-10-2000, 05:03 PM

Honda Civic+6AM start+PIP into NYC = BIG WORRIES...
Old 05-10-2000, 05:11 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Defensive driving pays dividends here...

In spite of the fact that people say you can't do anything about being rear ended, I believe you can in a majority of the cases. Defensive driving means watching whats in front of you and communicating that to the driver behind you (both in your speed of travel and via your brake light).

It's not my intention to point the finger at you, it's just that I've been in many conversations with family members about this (and they still believe that what happens behind them is outside their control)! I've driven over 500,000 miles in the last five years in the New York City metro area, without anything more serious than a parking lot scuff (and NO, not in my Audi!).
Old 05-10-2000, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

flashing taillights (tapping brakes) has saved me a few times...
Old 05-10-2000, 05:20 PM

Default Yep, you can definately control atleast some of what happens...

...behind you. Aside from flashing brake lights and things like that, I always watch my rearview mirror while I'm stopped at lights, etc. That way, i can see if someone is coming up fast and move out of the way if necessary. I had one case where the car behind me was fine, but I saw the car coming in fast behind them. So, I pulled forward (and was hoping the person behind would too). Well, the car behind me was rearended and pushed forward, but I was out of the way by then. Had the person behind me been paying attention, she would not have been hit either.

By being aware of what's going on around you. you can prevent many accidents.<p>Charles
2000 Nissan Xterra SE V6 4x4
'98 A4 2.8 Q-Tip (employer owned)
Old 05-10-2000, 05:43 PM

Default I propose death camps for tailgaters (more)

When will people learn that whenever you rearend someone it is almost without exception YOUR fault. Not the guy in front who slowed down too fast, suddenly... it doesn't matter why they stopped, or if they make up a reason. It is your responsibility to keep enough distance behind the person in front for any eventuality. I think people feel invincible in their cars. They don't get a second quarter when they die.
Old 05-10-2000, 06:20 PM

Default Some points to think about/dang cell phones (X-long essay version)

(Mary here)
My first Audi was a '76 Scirocco. I got it (stripped) out of a junkyard and put in an Audi 2.0L into it. It took 6 years to finish the car. The car was highly modified (total exhaust & intake, lightened flywheel, custom paint, etc.) and well cared for.
My beloved car was stopped in traffic (last December), then it happened. Some guy was dialing a cell phone, rammed into me full speed, pushed the car 8' into and under a truck and he hit me again. In a split second a show car was turned into a hulk that was towed away by a flat bed.

The points are:
1. Get an appraisal of a car that is modified because insurance will give a tough fight without documentation.
2. Take photos of your car.
3. It's just a car!
4. Carry one of those silly forms that the insurance gives you in case of an accident. Fill the whole thing out.
5. Enjoy driving your car!
Old 05-10-2000, 06:25 PM

Default On a daily basis. You just..

..have to be alert. Yes, I've had my close calls as well. Scared the hell out of my passenger once in my old 260Z by moving very fast forward into an empty left turn lane to avoid someone coming down the off-ramp without much braking going on. They finally started braking and slid right into my former spot and a little to the right. To close for my liking, at least they said sorry.
Old 05-10-2000, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Defensive driving pays dividends here...

I don't have any where near 500k miles under my belt, but I do live in NYC and I have learned my share of lessons over the years.

You are absolutely right about watching your rearview mirror, and also watching the space in front of you.

When I was learning to drive, I would often brake very late when coming to a stop. Nowadays I brake very early, but lightly. With my foot on the brake pedal, I am lighting up the brake lights for the people behind me. And I am also poised to brake harder in case I have to.
Plus the braking action is much smoother, which is good for the car, for myself, and for my passengers.

I always take comfort in the fact that my car has good brakes -- one main reason why I won't drive an SUV. (No offsense Chuck.)

-- Peter

Quick Reply: Do any of you worry about getting rear-ended by lesser cars/skilled drivers?