A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Do you let other people borrow your car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2000, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you let other people borrow your car?

Yesterday, a friend of mine came and asked me if he could borrow my car because his car had broke down and he needed to go and get a tow truck... and I said no. He took it really bad and left all pissed. Is it just me or would you also take the same reserves that I did? This guy has not driven a manual transmission in probably 4-5 years and I didn't think my car was going to breake his record.

I'm building a house and salary increase is uncertain this year so I figured I didn't need to take risks with somebody borrowing my A4.

what do you think?
Jorge
'99 1.8TQMS
Old 05-02-2000, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Has not come up for me, but...

I don't think I would trust anyone to drive the car when I am not with them. Besides, his story sounds a little fishy. He had to borrow your car to go and get a tow truck? Why not just call a towing service to come get his car? Just a thought. He may have just wanted to drive your car :^)

Chris B.
98.5 1.8TM APR
Old 05-02-2000, 11:08 AM
Rest In Peace

Only 1 person who has one just like mine, oh and about 10 mechanics at my dealer...
Old 05-02-2000, 11:23 AM

U made the right choice, and this person is your friend (acting that way)?
Old 05-02-2000, 11:31 AM

Default Yes. It depends entirely on trust.

I let a 20 year old friend of mine borrow my car. His 2002 blew the radiator and he had a hiking date with a cutie the next morning. I let him take my car.

I'm quite a bit older than him, but he is one of the best drivers I know. He's taken several driving schools and drives his '02 hard but safely. I trusted him and it worked out fine. I think he even got a second date out of it.

Rich
Old 05-02-2000, 12:02 PM

Just ask him for a $32,000 deposit. That would resolved the issue with no hard feelings. :-)
Old 05-02-2000, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default If they know how to drive a stick, yes

<p>Stan

<a href=http://rescomp.stanford.edu/~stanj/Audi/>98.5 A4 30vQMSX</a> <a href=http://rescomp.stanford.edu/~stanj/Audi/Mods/><i>(modified)</i></a>
98.5 A6 V6-TDI-Q (Euro)
<a href=http://rescomp.stanford.edu/~stanj/Travel/>Travel Photography</
Old 05-02-2000, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Here's my take....

1. This guy was in a crunch with his car broken down. If he really needed to borrow yours to go get a tow, it sounds to me like you're the one who was harsh.

2. If he really was in such a crunch, did you offer to drive him where he needed to go when you refused to lend him your car?

3. Something I don't understand from your story: Why not call for a tow truck instead of driving somewhere to get one?

4. If I had a friend with a broken down car, I'd do what I could to help out. If I didn't want to give him my own car, I'd see what else I could do. Otherwise I wouldn't be much of a friend.<p>Rick
99.5 1.8TQMS silver/onyx
Old 05-02-2000, 01:06 PM

Default Here's what happened...

this is the actual conversation
him : Hey, Can I borrow your car?
me : hmmmmmmm (really long) what for?
him : My car broke down and I need to get it towed away, so I need to go to my apartment to call the towing place
me : why don't you call them from here? (pointing my telephone)
him : are you going to let me borrow it or not?
me : no.
him : why not?
me : I don't know, I just won't. I don't even let my wife drive it.
him : ok, thanks (walks away pissed off).

what do you think?
Jorge
'99 1.8TQMS
Old 05-02-2000, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I think u did the right thing

Basically-

Was this a guy u knew since high school or something (a real, trustworthy friend) or your neighbor of two years that never comes out of his house except to ask for things? If he was an old friend and u trusted him, u could've done either. If he was the second, forget it! Personally, I never let the kids I go to high school with "touch" my A4- right down to the folding key!

Quick Reply: Do you let other people borrow your car?