A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Does A4 have immobilizer or not? I thought no, dealer said no, but . .

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-1999, 09:16 PM
James

Default Does A4 have immobilizer or not? I thought no, dealer said no, but . .

Hey Everyone,

My car is getting way too much attention now, and I was considering an alarm system. So I was talking to my friend about adding a system with an immobilizer because my dealer said the A4 didn't have one. (not in North America anyway). So I didn't get an insurance discount like my sister did on her VW Golf IV.

He was quite surprised, and mentioned that even his Golf III GTI has an immobilizer from the factory. According to a pamphlet from my insurance company, an electronic immobilizer is something that cuts off power to part of the vehicle's ignition system so the vehicle cannot be started. He told me to try arming my car while sitting inside, wait until the alarm is fully armed, then try to start the car.

So I did. I got in my car today, turned the interior motion sensor off with the door open, and closed it and armed it as if I hav gotten out of the vehicle. I waited a full 40 seconds, the LEDs on the door were blinking, then I inserted the key into the ignition.

Lights!!! Horn!!!! Mayhem as soon as the key went into the ignition. And when I turned the key . . . Nothing!!! Starter didn't even crank. So obviously there was something "immobilizing" my ignition system. I pulled the key out and pushed the unlock button. The horn and blinkers stop.

So, do I have an Immobilizer or not? If so, I'm going to have to tell my insurance company that I qualify for the discount, and install a minimal "add-on" alarm system. If I don't have an immobilizer, then I'm going to get one installed.

Thanks for your help.

James Wu
<a href="http://vancouver.a4.org" target="_top">Vancouver A4 Club</a>
1998 Black/Onyx 1.8tqa

<a href="http://home.mdi.ca/james561" target="_top">James' Audi A4 Page</a>
Old 10-07-1999, 09:23 PM
Adam S

My sales person told me that the A4 *did* have ignition cutoff...
Old 10-07-1999, 09:27 PM
Tom

I am really sure I can start my 97 1.8T even the alarm activates, I can't on my Jetta.interesting?
Old 10-07-1999, 09:28 PM
Tom

What year is your A4? I am sure 96-97 (no folding key ones) don't have immoblizer and cut-off switch
Old 10-07-1999, 10:02 PM
Adam S

99.5 A4 Avant 1.8TQ tip
Old 10-07-1999, 11:22 PM
Gordon Martin

I've always been told that it was an Australia only option?
Old 10-08-1999, 06:39 AM
Greg Davis

99.5 does I know.
Old 10-08-1999, 08:24 AM
bOB pETRUSKA

Default There's confussion here with the word "immobilizer"...

Yes your A4 has an alarm system that cuts off the ignition system when triggered.

The Audi word "immbolizer" pertains to a euro spec alarm system where the key FOB and ECU change security codes between themselves every time you unlock the car. Audi felt cars are not stolen in the US and eliminated this great feature from US bound cars!!!!
Old 10-08-1999, 09:27 AM
lcc

Default We don't have this in US?

My dealer told me that the security systems works the way you explained it (changing security codes). Was he confused with the Euro spec system or do some A4s here in the states have them and some don't?

Thanks.

99.5 2.8QTip
Old 10-08-1999, 10:09 AM
JY

Default I thought Canadian A4 doesn't have immobilizer, but ...

my dealer & insurance agent thought otherwise. And therefore I got the discount (not much, about $20 per year).

I'm in Vancouver too.

JY
99.5 1.8TQMS

Quick Reply: Does A4 have immobilizer or not? I thought no, dealer said no, but . .