A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Does anybody else think Edmund's "TMV" is skewed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2001, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anybody else think Edmund's "TMV" is skewed?

Just sold my A4 1.8T. The buyer was one of the few people who didn't begin with the statement "according to Edmunds, your car is only worth...." I compared values using the three most popular (Edmunds,KBB,NADA) and indeed Edmunds comes out considerably lower - especially in the mileage valuation. I compared three similarly priced 1999 models, a BMW 323I, Infiniti I30 and an A4 using a common mileage of 28,500 miles. The BMW and Infiniti deducted $160.00 and the A4 was whacked for $1158.00! Why would mileage deductions vary in similarly priced vehicles? As wrong as this seemingly is, it doesn't matter to a prospective buyer. In general, they will use the lowest figure total (which will be Edmunds) as their reference guide and will not want to negotiate much, if any higher than that figure. And to be honest,I don't blame them - I'd probably do the same.
Anyway, to anyone else selling their A4 out there - good luck! It took me nearly a month and I'm glad it's over. Has anyone else out ther had problems selling their A4?
Old 02-15-2001, 09:09 AM

Default Mileage could be an issue if failure/breakage rates of a part(s) are related to mileage so that...

a higher deduction might reflect the fact that an average car of a certain vintage might be likely to need some repair. However, if you know a certain car's history from the buyer, you'll know what was replaced, etc. and this issue becomes less important. However, having said this I think Edmund's lowballs on everything. On the other hand, KBB is a bit high, as is NADA. So, market value might be better estimated using an average or weighted average of the values. My experience is that you should ignore the valuation guides and check the prices from the newspaper ads of private sellers as well as dealers then apply some percentage deduction knowing that those are asking prices.
Old 02-15-2001, 09:12 AM

Default Re: No... (more)

In my experience, Edmunds is the most accurate of the bunch, precisely because they don't make "standard" deductions the way the others do. They actually base numbers upon real data gathered about cars being sold in specific geographic contexts. Unfortunately, Audis have never retained value as well as the others in its class. We have things like relaibility perceptions, and the gas/brake pedal fiasco to thank for that... The public has a good memory in that respect, despite the fact that the latter was ineptitude and mass hysteria rather than design. On the other hand, Audi has made strides as of late, and resale values are improving. Let's not forget that Audi's price point (new) is significantly more attractive than that of BMW.

But no... Edmunds is really quite accurate.
Old 02-15-2001, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Dont know about used, but TMV is definitely high on new cars.