A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Does anyone find that heel-toe shifting wastes a lot of gas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2001, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone find that heel-toe shifting wastes a lot of gas?

That is, if you're stupid like me and heel-toe every single stop and downshift so you'll feel like a boy racer

I find since, as markbradford pointed out earlier today, we have a very heavy flywheel, you really have to tromp the gas pedal to match revs. This is probably even worse in my big ol heavy 2.8 than it is in the 1.8T.

Someone once told me there's another reason beyond flywheel that the revs drop so slowly in this (and other cars), that the ECU keeps revs up to improve fuel economy. Perhaps it really screws things up to be stabbing the gas so rapidly?

Just curious if anyone's ever noticed this. FYI, my mileage is around 15mpg these days, mostly city driving. Not very good at all Also, I'm not double-clutching the shifts.
Old 11-21-2001, 01:08 PM
Rest In Peace

Default Once you've perfected it, the gas mileage decrease will be marginal at worst.

you see, if you didnt' blip the throttle, then when the clutch engaged it would pull the revs (and thus yer gas) up anyway, so really the onyl time you're losing gas is the time between your blip and the time the clutch engages, which will be almost simultaneous once you've got it down.
Old 11-21-2001, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default oh, your mileage goes above 19? I thought 15 was normal, 19 was good!

I drive like an ******* most of the time, and hence I sit around an honest 19mpg. Mind you, I live in the city, and 65% of my highway driving is essentially city driving-stop and go. And when the lanes open up, I tromp on it, so there goes my mileage...

life is short. gas is cheap. and the smile is worth it every time...

oh, and I heel toe all the time...
Old 11-21-2001, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default well, ummm....

if you let the clutch absorb the blow, it is really the forward momentum of the car already in motion that sucks the revs up, so the injectors probably aren't pumping much, as it isn't pulling up the revs as much asa going along for the ride...

but hey, that isn't very nice to your clutch now is it?
Old 11-21-2001, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Perhaps it's my pedal force

After all, no matter how hard you stab it, the engine's only going to speed up so fast. I think any waste occurs in the amount I push the pedal harder than I need to... if at all. I don't know if this is actually causing a fuel mileage decrease, it never did in any of my other cars. Just curious.

You will agree that making the engine accelerate faster takes more gas?
Old 11-21-2001, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think I need to run through a couple "disciplined driving" tanks of gas.

As unfun as that will be (plus some jerky downshifts no doubt I really want to know if it's the car or the driver that causes me to get such crappy mileage vs. the majority of this board.
Old 11-21-2001, 01:30 PM
Rest In Peace

Default True to a point.....

you're right, it's not like you're under boost and firing gas in like crazy, but an engine spinning at 4K-5K is still gonna burn a lot of fuel.
Old 11-21-2001, 01:32 PM
Rest In Peace

Default "You will agree that making the engine accelerate faster takes more gas?" Of course

BUT the point was that when you've got the technique down, the throttle only needs a little blip to get it matched to the faster spinning clutch. The key is minimizing the time between the blip and clutch engagement.
Old 11-21-2001, 01:57 PM
Kid
AudiWorld Senior Member

ummm have you tried to give it gas in n .... you dont use any boost NO Boost
Old 11-21-2001, 02:01 PM
Rest In Peace

Yeah, load-based turbo, good point. Should be even more negligable then.

Quick Reply: Does anyone find that heel-toe shifting wastes a lot of gas?