A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Does anyone have the REMUS muffler and the resonator removed on a 1.8T?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-1998, 09:39 PM
Corey S

Default Does anyone have the REMUS muffler and the resonator removed on a 1.8T?

I'm wondering of there is a significant difference<br>between just the REMUS muffler, and that without the<br>resonator.<p>I still want to get the Scorpion cat back system, but<br>might opt for the less expensive alternative.<p>Ugh, decisions, decisions.<p>Corey S<br>Wett 97 1.8TQM
Old 11-24-1998, 01:14 AM
ned

Default i think Rich Quinlan does

<br>nt
Old 11-24-1998, 04:48 AM
Zsolt

Default Yes Rich does (more)

it is pretty loud, but this is IMHO, ofcourse. Ask him if there is a drone at highway speeds.<p>Also, not too long ago I recall someone being not too happy with the Scorpion performance and replaced the resonator with a glasspack (I am not sure of this, but he replaced it with something other than a straight pipe). He claimed better performance, but the point is you may only get the Scorp muffler and do this.
Old 11-24-1998, 08:07 AM
Corey S

I was thinking REMUS, and that sport resonator that was discussed a while back. Rich, any comments?
Old 11-24-1998, 01:43 PM
Graham

Default Remus et al

Corey,<p>I had the Remus with centre muffler removed when I had my car with stock chip nearly 2 years ago.<p>It helped in the stock set up with more low down torque and a quicker throttle response. However it groaned a bit on uphill freeway runs.<p>When I had my chip installed I also had to get the centre muffler re installed as i was experiencing horrible booming and resonance around 2500 to 3000 rpm. Dont know if this is just a feature of my car or a common feature.<p>Then a couple of months ago I got bored and had a 3 inch cat back stainless steel system fabricated for me complete with 3 inch stainless steel centre and rear muffler. <p>Sure it is louder than stock, and louder than a Remus, but on about a par with the Remus w/o resonator, just a lower note.<p>On the dyno, up to 10Kw at the wheels difference with the new exhaust and no loss of power or torque down low. On the road much more pulling power down low, and from 4000 - 5000 rpm in fifth gear is scary quick.<p>I would imagine the scorpion would give a similar result, depending on which mufflers they use.<p>The Remus is quite a restrictive design inside and wont yield any more that 4hp or so. But they do sound good.<p>So I guess the question is this, do you want to sound good and look good for x dollars, or look good, sound good and go better for x plus a few more dollars??<p>Hope that helps<p>Graham <p>