A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Does anyone know if they set a speed limit on the autobahn in Germany? Where can I get this info?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-1999, 10:30 AM
Chris K

Does anyone know if they set a speed limit on the autobahn in Germany? Where can I get this info?
Old 07-13-1999, 10:41 AM
Ralph Lövenich

Default Re: Does anyone know if they set a speed limit on the autobahn in Germany? Where can I get this info?

No, they will definetly not set a speed limit in Germany because all the automobil-clubs and their members are against it. The goverment knows for shure that if they would do so noone would vote for them anymore. But they have raised the tax for petrol again. So we have to pay $1 fore one liter of petrol now.<br>Ralph from Germany
Old 07-13-1999, 10:45 AM
stanj

Default 80% of the Autobahn does have a speed limit...

this speed limit is clearly posted in good old European manner with speed signs above or to the side of each lane, and usually repeated every 2-3km. Speed limits are usually 100, 120, and 130 km/h. If there is no speed limit posted, the implicit speed limit is in force, which is 100km/h on normal roads and "none" on the aAutobahn.<p>On some portions of the Autobahn, usually in the rural areas, there is no speed limit. There is a recommended speed limit of 130 km/h, but you can drive as fast as you see safe. By a very recent surpreme court ruling, however, if you get into an accident going more than 130 km/h, you immediately have partial - if not 100% - fault of the accident. It used to be that the faster car had the right of way, and it often happened that a driver going 100km/h in the slow lane pulls right in front of you to pass a truck, while you are going above 200km/h. Been there, makes for no fun moments.<p>- Stan<br>(the Swiss guy)<br>
Old 07-13-1999, 10:55 AM
Andreas

Default There is a speed limit around.. (more)

There is a speed limit around major cities and towns. I think it's 130 km/h. Not 100% sure. Most of the highway I believe it's 180 km/h. There are some stretches were there is no speed limit. They are trying to put a speed limit on most of the autobahn. It's not the speeding paradise that most people think off. Most of the time you are cruising around 150-160 km/h. I really don't know why people would want to go much faster than that. It's becomes reckless to go any faster when there is other traffic around.
Old 07-13-1999, 11:01 AM
David Hess

Default Re: Does anyone know if they set a speed limit on the autobahn in Germany? Where can I get this info?

I have driven approx 120,000 miles on the autobahn and loved almost every minute of it. More and more speed limit signs are going up and construction areas are every where. The autobahns are definitely rougher than they once was. They are strictly enforced with cameras, radar, unmarked cars, etc. Don't get in an accident above 130kph. Drive in the right lane unless passing, don't pass on the right, use your turn signals and keep an eye out behind you. Find the German Auto Club ADAC website if they even have one. Of coarse it will be in German though. Beautiful country though. I loved cruising at 80mph looking at the countryside. The A4 is a wonderful car for the Autobahn.<br>David Hess<br>98.5 2.8QSTip
Old 07-13-1999, 11:19 AM
Mark P

Default I saw a clip of one of the stationary law enforcement cams of a BMW cruising over a crest loosing control and smashing into the center divider. Of course, it was on FOX's World's Worst Somethingornother

n
Old 07-13-1999, 11:31 AM
RickS

Default Watch, there are several divisions at Fox, only a couple are trashy :)

Old 07-13-1999, 11:35 AM
Al

Default Just got back from a trip to Germany ... (more)

Well I was in Germany (Bavaria) for the past week. Driving in general in Germany is a pleasure. EVERYONE stays on the right unless passing and get into lane very early (No cutting people off to gain two car lengths). OK there are a few that stay in the left lane but they're doing over 200 kmh. <p>There appears to be sections where there are speed limits. I think they were construction zones. Traffic would usually slow down to the limit and when the zone ended everyone sped up to their comfortable cruising speed. <p>I had a 1.6 Golf but I still found that it would cruise at 170 kmh quite nicely. It's a real treat to drive at those speeds and not have to look for police. But care must be taken when changing lanes. If you're doing 140 kmh and someone is approaching you at 220 kmh they'll be right behind you in a heart beat. CHECK and CHECK AGAIN. <p>Remember roads like this will only exist if people take care.<p>
Old 07-13-1999, 11:41 AM
DaveN

Default They also have limits going though towns..

although those were mostly at night. I'm told it to hold the noise down.
Old 07-13-1999, 01:49 PM
Mark P

Default TV, FOX5/FOX61, NY/CT

ny

Quick Reply: Does anyone know if they set a speed limit on the autobahn in Germany? Where can I get this info?