A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Don't understand where Audi/VW is going with this?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2000, 07:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't understand where Audi/VW is going with this?

Latest European Car magazine says that a 2002 VW D1 super luxury car will be introduced to compete against the Mercedes S-class and the BMW 7 series sedan. Basically it's the VWs version of the A8. Why is VW/Audi trying to make VW into a high end luxury car? I would think that VW would be competing against Honda, and Toyota, with Audi competing against Mercedes, BMW and Lexus. I would say that this could only hurt Audi sales in the future by eliminating the distinction between the VW and Audi cars for a public that already has little knowledge (due to lack of publicity) to Audi automobiles.
Old 09-30-2000, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default That's their MASTER Plan

About three or four years ago I read somewhere in the European press that since MErcedes was trying to "reach down" into VW territory, VW was going to take the VW brand upwards into Mercedes territory and that the Audi marque was to compete head to head with the "sports luxury" market against BMW.

This comes as no surprise, it's just the fulfillment of their corporate goals.

I think this will in fact only help and strengthen Audi and their products, since they have a clearly defined marketing agenda.

There is still PLENTY of room for product differntialtion between VW and Audi, to which each will exploit to the best of their abilities. After all VW and Audi aren't in competition with each other.

just moho & .02

Jeff Davison
Old 09-30-2000, 08:08 AM

Default Hopefully more changes than that ...

I've heard about those changes in direction before, now, hopefully, Audi will make a few more changes with their line.

Personal opinion, but outside of the TT, there's too much interbreeding in the Audi lineup.

When it comes to the A4 and S4 looks wise, it takes a pretty keen eye to really spot the differences. The A6 looks like the A4 but a bit bigger, and the A8 looks like the A6 but a bit bigger.

Yeah, there's the Avant line, but it's a pretty tough sell. Station wagons aren't all that popular in the US or Canada (although I hear they're big in Europe).
Old 09-30-2000, 08:17 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Personally, I think that Audi is straddling the sport and luxury markets. If VW tries to corner the luxury market, they will have to introduce something that will WOW the market, and get people to stand up and take notice. I am curious to see the product that will lift Mercedes owners out of their chairs.

I am hoping that as a result of moving VW upscale, Audi will laterally shift and become "more" sporty. This is the part that I really look forward to.

Whether or not VW fails, I think we (the consumers) will benefit from a revolution in VW/Audi offerings in the next decade.
Old 09-30-2000, 08:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I think station wagons will be on a comeback in the US.,

in light of the recent Ford Explorer SUVs and their rollover potential, and I'm not just talking Ford's. Most SUVs have this problem due to their high center of gravity. People are finally realizing that SUVs can't handle like regular cars in emergency situations. If I were in the market for a roomier family car, I'd get a wagon (A4, A6,..even Volvo)...But,..I digress.
Old 09-30-2000, 08:39 AM

Default I dunno, depends on why they buy ...

Granted, SUVs have a higher rollover potential than "regular" cars, but that might just sway some people back to regular cars - not wagons.

For example, I know several people (my wife included) that want SUVs not because of the family/more space situation, but because of the PERCEPTION that they are safer. They think, becuase they're in some big huge chunk of metal they would be safer in an accident. And because they're higher off the road, they're in a better position to see up ahead, which in turn makes them think they're "safer" too.

There's also a huge discrepency in the "class" and "style" arena. For example, when in the market for a car with more room for the kids, family, equipment, etc. generally speaking, an SUV has about the same room as a minivan. However SUVs and minivans have totally different stigmas attached to them. One is considered a "cool"/"nice" ride, the other .. not so cool.

When Joe down the streets picks up a new Cherokee, there's plenty of people that will be thinking "wow, nice ride Joe.". When Dave picks up that Minivan, well, the oohs and ahhs aren't the same. ;-)

Wagons instill similar thoughts to minivans. It's not a space thing, it's the "family car".
Old 09-30-2000, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I totally agree..mini utes like escape and tribute as well as more sport wagon type vehicles

Accept for hi technology..usually whats old becomes new again
Old 09-30-2000, 09:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think they're be ooooing and ahhhing if they had an S4 Avant.
Old 09-30-2000, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I agree.... except us Americans can be pretty stupid about...

...brand identity. We (not us, but the buying public) don't like anything that is associated with a class or market equal to or below where we stand. The target demographics of MB S-class people is surely college educated males over 50.

Those people grew up in a time when VW's were bugs, transporters, etc. Their mental image of VW, regardless of what VW puts out now, is not that of MB.

VW is going to have to do more than WOW the market, they are going to have to destroy what people think with a product that is going to throw the whole industry.

Can they build a car that one ups the new lexus? can they built enough prestige into it to top the S-Class? I hope so, as we, audi owners, can only benefit. Whatever cool technology makes it into that VW will trickle into our product lines too.

Good Luck VW. Good luck....
Old 09-30-2000, 11:49 AM

Not when it's a V70 XC or S4/S6 avant

Quick Reply: Don't understand where Audi/VW is going with this?