A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

It drifts to the right

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-1999, 12:13 PM
ErikR

Default On track...Real reason for drift!

Dima,<p>You have the answer right there. There is enough range in the factory spec that lazy or incompetent mechanics will say it's in spec and not even do the alignment. Toe out will cause the car to wander, one toe in and the other out and it will drift in that direction.<p>Do like Steve S. and actually look at the alignment printout. There should be several iterations where they try to get it as close as possible. MOST places do not have the proper Hunter (I think I have that straight) adapter.
Old 05-21-1999, 04:21 PM
Danee

Default Heard the same thing

Our 1996 2.8 does the same thing. We have had it in for alignment 3 (yes 3) times. It still drifts to the right. By the way, we were also told "all cars drift to the right".
Old 05-23-1999, 01:10 PM
Jeff J

Default Oh for goodness sakes--NO they DON'T! (more)

I'm very particular about the way my alignment is set up and my car does not pull to the right.<p>Anybody on this forum who can tell you what camber, caster and toe mean and their affect on the car's steering and tracking, will also tell you that this is a bunch of baloney! If a car is not in proper alignment, it can drift right, left, wander all over the road or track straight. <p>If your car is pulling to the right over a distance of a 1/4 mile, than it's possibly because the road has a slightly angle to the right for water drainage.<p>Best,<br>Jeff<br>
Old 05-23-1999, 04:07 PM
Andrew C.

I agree with BDW below. Road tilt is often the culprit. My car &quot;drifts&quot; in both directions depending on the drainage angle of the road.
Old 05-24-1999, 05:24 AM
ALD

Default Yes they do...

I have been working as a hobby with cars for many years. A4's do steer to the right, pulling is different. Over a quarter of a mile, the A4, will steer slightly to the right. I have friends who are mechanics who can confirm this. When the car is dead center on the wheel with no hands on it, the car will steer slightly to the right. It is not noticable over a short distance, but over great distances.<br>This has nothing to do with alignment. This has to do with the way the car is engineered. With allignment, one wheel is out of allignment with another wheel. Example given, over a mile, car slips 5 feet for every one mile driven. That is allignment.<br>With steering, the car's wheels are turned slightly to the right. There is a big difference there. Very big difference. How do I know this, read the posting above this one. I am not saying this off the top of my head, I am stating fact. 90% of the time you don't notice the car steering right because of your use to it, but take your hands off the wheel, and you will notice it.<br>And it has nothing to do with road angle, because the car will still steer to the right whether it is on the right or left side of the road. And if it were road angle, then let me ask you this, why is it always to the right, and never to the left? I have felt when road angle has taken the steering, best example was the Statan Island Expressway when you could take your hand off the wheel after you got off the Gothals Span, and keep your hands off the wheel till you got to the Verrizono Narrows Bridge. (That was before the repaved it last year.) Allignment and tracking are two different issues. Any mechanic will tell you that. <br>
Old 05-24-1999, 09:00 AM
Jeff J

Default So what you're saying is...

...if you were to turn the wheel just fractionally to the left, on a perfectly even road the car would steer straight?<p>If so than what's to stop one from recentering the steering wheel and realigning the wheels so it's dead on center?<p>>>I have felt when road angle has taken the<br>>> steering, best example was the Statan Island >>Expressway when you could take your hand off >>the wheel after you got off the Gothals Span, >>and keep your hands off the wheel till you got >>to the Verrizono Narrows Bridge. <p>As far as I can remember, that wasn't road angle but two huge ruts caused by overweight trucks when the pavement hadn't hardened. You could see it quite clearly in the daytime.<p>With the money we pay in tolls, I tell you the whole NYC metro area is a big joke.<p>Best,<br>Jeff
Old 05-24-1999, 09:17 AM
ALD

Default Exactly...

Yes, and to anwswer your second question, I don' know the answer to that one. But that is how it works.<br>As for the Staten Island Expressway, I know about the ruts, I was just trying to use it as a very bad example. I thought that I had included that part in there, but I guess I did not. But it was kinda fun to take ones hands off the wheel of the car and just allow the car to steer itself. But I am glad that they finally fixed it after who knows how many years.<p>