A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Drivers headlight shaking.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 03:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers headlight shaking.....

Hi guys,

Been trying to do some research to find out why my headlight is flickering/shaking and I am finding a few conflicting reports but none for my year of A4.

I have a 1999 facelift model with the headlight and indicator all in one but when I am driving at night the drivers side seems to flicker at times when the light is shown on the back of another vehicle you can see this. But it only seems to happen if going over rough ground, breaking or taking off - all these symptoms seems to be the norm for this issue.

Can anyone offer any ideas on what it could be? The headlight itself seems quite new and I only have the car 6 months so it well could be. It is really annoying and would like to get it sorted out especially with the dark nights luming.

Thanks
Old 09-21-2011, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

Probably the light bulb isn't clipped in propery. Take off the bulb cover at the back of the light housing, following examples in your manual if you have it. A loose bulb will do that. FYI, don't handle the quartz bulb glass with your fingers, and if you do, wipe it with alcohol.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by turbo510
Probably the light bulb isn't clipped in propery. Take off the bulb cover at the back of the light housing, following examples in your manual if you have it. A loose bulb will do that. FYI, don't handle the quartz bulb glass with your fingers, and if you do, wipe it with alcohol.
Thanks for the reply though that was the first thing that I did and the bulb is secure in its position.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Swap the bulbs between the two sides. If the flicker stays on the driver's side, you've probably got a short in the wiring. Start wiggling all the wires you see coming from the headlight.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by mtroxel
Swap the bulbs between the two sides. If the flicker stays on the driver's side, you've probably got a short in the wiring. Start wiggling all the wires you see coming from the headlight.
Good point, however I think you meant a break (or open circuit) in the wiring.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi guys,

I think I should have pointed out that it isn't really a flickering as such but more of shaking I apologise for that. It is more that something is lose. I have this feeling it is the headlight alignment motor does that sound right to anyone?
Old 02-20-2012, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had this problem when I got new engine mounts. The shop installed RS4 mounts which are MUCH stiffer. This resulted in better torque transfer (the car just doesn't flex at all under acceleration!) BUT at idle I have a much more pronounced vibration.

What is likely happening -- and was for me -- is that the HOOD is now vibrating more than it should. The hood rests on the headlight enclosures. The hood has several rubber bumpers. These bumpers can be adjusted (they screw/unscrew) to make the the hood "fit" tighter or looser. I recommend unscrewing one of more of these a half turn until you no longer see the light vibrate.