A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Driving impression. Awe-dts and apr snub mount. It's wonderful..

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2002, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving impression. Awe-dts and apr snub mount. It's wonderful..

It's nothing like it was before. Especially with all the increased horsepower from the stage 3 kit. I could feel the rocking motion everytime I shifted. But the awe-dts and apr snub mount have taken care of that. Crisp shifts, and downshifts are a dream This is how the car should be to begin with. If you haven't driven this combo, I would try to seek out someone that does. It's one of those, have to feel to believe.

On a side note, my apr snub mount has increased idle vibration. I couldn't put the car in gear. Since I was using ramps, but I left it in neutral for about 3 mins. But the increased vibration at idle doesn't bother me at all. But maybe after the bbq meet, I'll seek out a lift and adjust my snub mount. Also the Apr instructions were clear and precise.

Gone driving

jaime
Old 03-07-2002, 04:17 PM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you have to grind the snub down?
Old 03-07-2002, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I've got both of those with Stage II...and I agree. They're a wonderful combination!
Old 03-07-2002, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nope.. I heard about the grinding.. where you grind it at?

I sprayed mine with silicon spray and it sliped right on. Do people grind for the snub mount holder? or to get the snub mount on?

jaime
Old 03-07-2002, 06:28 PM
Elder Member

Default I haven't installed one yet. But many have said that it doesn't fit well..........

and needs to be ground down. For others it fit just fine, like yours.

The difference is caused by sloppy manufacturing tolerances on the holder. Some are smaller than others.

Someone said here the other day that the ideal fit is about a millimeter of gap between the mount and the holder, and that vibrations are usually caused if the mount is too snug.
Old 03-07-2002, 06:29 PM
Elder Member

BTW, how tough was the install? Did you do it yourself?
Old 03-07-2002, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes, I installed it myself. Used some rhino ramps...

Not really hard, just envolved. Took me almost 2 hours. I think taking off the bumper was the hardest part. The darn thing didn't want to unclip. Here are apr's instructions. Instead of draining the windshield washer fluid, I used a vise grip and wrapped the line with a shop towel. So I didn't have to drain all my fluid out. Other than that, about 10 screws come out. Lean the whole radiator support out and slide the snub mount in. Pretty easy I thought. But after the stage 3 install, it's all easy

Check out the link.

jaime<ul><li><a href="http://www.goapr.com/support/snub_mount.pdf">http://www.goapr.com/support/snub_mount.pdf</a</li></ul>
Old 03-07-2002, 07:10 PM
Elder Member

Thanks!!
Old 03-07-2002, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think it is just that 2001+ cars have a different shaped snub than what the APR one is....

that's why people have to grind it down to fit.
Old 03-08-2002, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The ECS technician told me that he'd never yet needed to do the bumper removal

He used a lift in his bay, and moved a couple of things from underneath, and just stuck it in. He lubed it up first with something. I don't know if he shaved it or not.

I do get a little more roughness at idle. If it gets too annoying, I ease in a light toe-touch of throttle to raise rpms, and it goes away. Most of the time, it doesn't bother me.

Quick Reply: Driving impression. Awe-dts and apr snub mount. It's wonderful..