A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Drought -can't wash car - Miracle Towel to Rescue (long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-1999, 08:32 PM
MitchC

Default Drought -can't wash car - Miracle Towel to Rescue (long)

I don't know how many other A4.org users are in a drought restricted area but I have been unable to wash my A4 due to lack of rain here in the NorthEast US. My community well system has issued rules in effect banning watering of lawns and car washing. In an effort keep my car clean (alright - I was beginning to panic) I decided to try a product called The Miracle Towel that I saw advertised on one of A4.org's sponsors - autopia-carcare.com. Call me a pessimist but I was very apprehensive of trying anything that starts out with the name Miracle.
To my surprise, it worked great. I filled a bucket 1/3 full with water - wet the towel, wrung it out and proceeded to wipe down the car. I was worried about the towel causing the dirt to scratch my A4 but the towel worked great - no scratches at all. I kept rinsing the towel in the bucket to keep it clean and by the time I was done the water in the bucket was black. On the front bumper there were plenty of dead insects so I used a quick detailer spray with the towel to be sure not to scratch the paint. The whole job took 10 minutes and I only used a 1/3 full bucket of water. I then used that same water to clean the infamous A4 brakedust off my wheels (Mintex please hurry w/ the 99.5 sensor connectors). I then went over the entire car with a quick detailer spray once again using the Miracle Towel to wipe off the detailer. My A4 was once again shining.

The literature that came with the Miracle Towel says it has 90,000 micro fibers per square inch that grab, lift and hold dust and grime without the need for cleaning solutions. All I know is I can safely keep my car clean until this drought ends.

I don't work for or have any affiliation with Miracle Towel or autopia-carcare.com but I figured anyone unable to wash their car would be interested in this dry washing method.

BTW...I was trying out two different Quick Detailer Sprays....Griots Garage Speed Shine and Pinnacle Crystal Mist - still undecided about which I prefer. The Pinnacle was less streaky and smells great - but is more expensive and w/ no water I will probably start using lots of this stuff.

MitchC 99.5 1.8tqms
Old 08-11-1999, 10:05 PM
Terry

Default Questions

Mitch,

What color is your car? My car is black and I also have the Miracle Towel and Pinnacle Crystal Mist but am somewhat skeptical of the "dry wash" method.

I do like Pinnacle Crystal Mist a lot. It's by far the least streaky detailer on the market.

BTW, I love the Miracle Towel. It's the only thing that can clean the inside of my windshield well.
Old 08-12-1999, 05:56 AM
Rhema

Default Re: I've been coping thru another way

I first use that California Dust Mop thing to wipe off all the dust and pollen, then use Meguiar's Quick Detailer spray to wipe the car and rims clean. It's a good enough compromise due to the circumstances.

I'd try that Miracle Towel, but we can't even wash cars with a bucket here. Neighbors all over the area are snitching on each other and since I live on a corner house, I don't want to risk a $1000 fine... even if only takes 1/3 bucket of water.
Old 08-12-1999, 06:53 AM
mitro

Default There was a demo out in front of my local SAMs club of some stuff called...

"Fast Track" or "Track Shine" or something like that. It was a can of spray that both washed and waxed your car. This stuff was touted as miracle everything. It did chrome, plastic glass (rainx effect too), washed, waxed, blow jo.. uh.. anyway. It was like 20 bucks a can and you only needed a cotton terry cloth towel to wash your whole car. Anybody seen/ heard of/ used this stuff? I wasn't going near it. (Too good to be true and all that)
Old 08-12-1999, 08:14 AM
MitchC

Default I did have a neighbor come over but

they backed off when they saw it was only a very small amount of water in the bucket. No car wash so they backed off.

We need some sustained rain.

MitchC 99.5 1.8tqms
Old 08-12-1999, 08:20 AM
MitchC

Default Re: Questions & more questions

My car is Silver/onyx (like half of all A4's sold). When I bought my A4 it was down to either Brilliant Black or Silver...and having a black Pathfinder and dark blue G20...I took the easy maintanence route this time. Every time I wash the car I enjoy not aggravating over scratches that would have made me crazy on a black car.

Have you tried the Miracle Towel on the black paint? I couldn't detect any scratching on my silver but black is the ultimate test.

I will try the Miracle Towel on the inside of windshield later today. Do you use any window cleaner or just the towel slightly damp?

MitchC 99.5 1.8tqms
Old 08-12-1999, 10:32 PM
Terry

Default Answers

I've not used the Miracle Towel on my black car yet. I was hoping that you have a black car and would be able to tell me.

When I use it, I'll tell you.

Actually, what I do with the miracle towel for the inside window is that I use it dry. After I use a window clearer and a regular cotton towel, I follow it up with the Miracle Towel. I use it dry, but I'm sure it'll work with a window cleaner too.